GS412 vs. Ampeg 810E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I play mainly glassjaw/ thrice/ thursday kind of stuff. If I was using an Ampeg SVT-CL what would you guys suggest?
  2. Well since the bassists in all 3 of those bands use all tube ampegs with the 810e, if thats the sound you want then the ampeg will get you close. But of course the 412 may just have a sound you might just fall in love with...or something :eyebrow:

3. I dont know if you noticed, but Aguilar has an 810 out now too. SVT-CL and 810e isn't going to give you much "clean and punchy"
  4. GS412 all the way!!!!!
    This is ,IMO, the best "huge" cab. the Ampeg810 sounds muddy(at least that's what I heard when I tried it),whereas the Aggie was fat, defined and ludicrously powerful.
    Moreover, the GS412 will be easier to transport.;)
  5. I will agree that the GS412 is easier to transport. It is lighter and just a lot easier to heft around. It also carries more of the fundamental and will go places (low) the 810 cannot go.

BUT, I don't think it has the mid push or will sit as well in the mix as the 810E. Muddy? no way. The 810 is smooth and has a mid presence that the Aggie does not.

IMHO Both are very large sounding cabinets. I have played through them. They just have two different sounds. Do you want a pulverizing bottom or cutting mids that scramble your guts?

You can't go wrong with either one for massive sound as long as you are feeding them plenty of watts.

And I am not saying they are not efficient, just that both sound best cranked!
  6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    check out the new guy from taking back sunday, he's using the gs cabs, they sound way better than 810e's. very clear, an ampeg 810e is just a very loud mush.
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Maybe with an Ampeg SVTCL. Not with a Mesa 400+ or even a Hartke 3500 for all that matter.
  8. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1, having played through my 810 with both those amps.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI, here are the specs:

Aguilar GS412

Ampeg SVT-810E

my choice, definitely the GS412, tho i do agree with much that Frankie said.

its lighter by 50 lbs., and hits a much more meatie low of 37Hz, which'll make your Low B excursions much more satisfying. also, its suprisingly punchie, even tho 12" speakers were never punchie enough for me.

never used the GS412 under a gig situation, but my local GC had one, and while it sound killer with their all aggie setup, once i had a salesman plug an SVT Classic into it, i nearly fell over at how great it sounded! seemed to gel with friend's 5 string Modulus in the most coolest way. preferred that classic SVT fatness over the more hifi all aggie setup. the DB728 obviously sent more wattage for that punch, but the SVT / GS412 sound was pretty intoxicating.

the ampeg cab is alot punchier, tho, and does sound equally as nice with an ol' 4 stringer Pbass. its a classic sound for a reason. ;) but the Low B action is practially absent, and in Joker's world, that's a nono.

if you've the got the moolah for the GS412, there are many other outstanding big cabs that can kick major booty.

IME, my true biggy cab fav is an Epifani UL 6x10. its literally half the weight of the ampeg cab, and yet is IMHO, the loudest "8x10" i've ever heard! ;) clear, sweet, and very detailed. most big cabs do the "vintage" thing, but the Epifani is definitely on the hifi, modern side of things.

then there's also Bergantino's own line of big cabs like NV6x10, which is a fav among many guys here, which to my ears has that Ampeg fatness, but then takes it another step further with a waaaaaaaaaay bigger bottom end, and a richness that never gets blurry unlike the ampeg. then there's the NV425, that while i have yet to play, can only imagine the HUGE low end. :cool: