Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GS412 with an SVT Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whatever, Sep 3, 2003.

1. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    I'm interested in buying a new bass cabinet. I have an Ampeg SVT Classic head and a Classic 410 cabinet. The cab and head is seven yrs old and pretty beat. I was thinking about the Agulair GS412 but the power rating is much higher for that cab. Would that be an issue with my head? Does anyone have a GS412? Do you like it? Would a 610 cabinet be better and if so which brand and why?
    Anyhelp would be great!

Can I bridge the SVT to get a higher wattage out put? How does that effect the sound?

Thanks!

2. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    The head isn't beat I have it checked regularly. Only the cab is in ruff shape.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A higher power rating for a cab is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. Go for it, I think the 4x12 would be a great match and a killer rig.

4. Don't worry about cabs being rated higher than your amp. Won't hurt a thing. The cab takes what the amp puts out; it can't draw out more power and damage it. From what I've heard about the Aguilar 4x12's it would be ideal for thick tone, and I've been thinking of getting one myself. (Gonna build my homemade 8x12 first, though.)

5. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks. I also have a Bergantino NV610 on the brain. I need to try my head out through both of those cabs and see what I like better. I do want to stick with an old school rock vibe though.

Psycho an 8/12 is well.....psycho!

6. I used a 73 SVT head in the 70's and they have killer power.I don't think volume or power would be an issue using that head and cabinet.It should rock the house with that cab.

7. O.K. Gents
    I just got a Berg NV610. I have not gigged with it yet but would like to use my Mesa 400+ with it. The Mesa sounds absolutely great pumping the new NV sealed cab, but I had lack of power issues with my other Berg HT cabs. Just looking for your opinion on how the 400+ would drive this cab rated at 750w. Like I said the Mesa sounds great, but did not drive the ported HT-Bergs, if that is what makes the difference, but at higher volumes it start to clip/distort the cabs. Sounded wonderful at medium to low vols.

Thanks in advance.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bridging applies to stereo (or dual channel) solid state amps, not single channel tube power amps.

An SVT head is plenty powerful. If your's isn't, take it to a qualified service tech, have them check the power tubes and set the bias...

Also, make sure that the amp's output impedance switch is set to match the cabinet's impedance for maximum power transfer.

9. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
  10. As far as I know, the nv610 was designed to be used with SVTs and such as an alternative to the venerable Ampeg 810. I've been told they're pretty efficient and can get plenty loud with an SVT, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be any problems with the 400+. Haven't heard one yet, but I'm very very interested in that cab. Let us know how it works out!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Another vote for the Bergantino NV610 !!! The cabinet is unreal! I'm counting the hours till I can get into one (about a year :( ).

Piece at a time... I need an EX112 soon to get me thru :cool:

12. Tube Curvature

Tube Curvature Guest

Aug 27, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I owned a GS412 cabinet and I must say.. that cab was amazing. I sold it two buy two GS212s only because of portability issues. I never played an SVT-CL head through it, but I did play a Mesa Boogie 400+ which has a higher wattage rating (even though in reality it probably has about the same as the SVT.) There were absolutely no problems with the power rating or anything. The combination of the two sounded fantastic, and I am sure it would with the SVT-CL. I definitely recommend the 412.