1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GSR100EXMOL - best bang for buck I know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, May 25, 2019.

1. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Funny thing! Squier CVs were way better, when they were Chinese! :D

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Spidey :)

..a crossed loop and a few half hitches or a whip finnish! :D

[​IMG]

:laugh:

Wise

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Whip it good!

Wisebass likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    are you sure it's the newer ones that are made in china? mine were both made in 2018, and at a guess, one was made in august.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. I'm not sure, but usually things get moved to China to cut costs.
    The serial # on mine starts with a 10, so maybe it's from 2010.

I guess it's possible they moved the production to Indonesia from China, which would probably be the first time I've seen a manufacturer do something to improve their product while simultaneously costing them more.
    That might explain the bump in price as well, because they used to be $160 & are now $180.

pcake likes this.
  6. I posted about it on some player groups & the guys who owned them told me they play guitar mostly & rarely use them. They just wanted a cheap bass that worked, LOL!

I asked the question in the beginning, "What is the catch?".

Well, I think I found it. The neck on this one was constructed in pieces, using a scarf-joint:

[​IMG]

I'll still take it to the luthier tomorrow & see what he says, but I was already taking the Mikro.
    Probably not going to keep it after discovering this. Who does that?!!

Took it out on the back porch for the first time, for a little session & a photo.
    Out there in the bright sunlight that joint just glowed!

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi KBD :)

beaver-chainsaw.

:laugh:

Wise(b)ass

8. For the moment I'm keeping it, even though the neck slopes back just a little at the 1st fret on the bass side.
    Luthier is putting new pots & jack in there for me, so we'll see how it performs with the truss rod adjusted correctly for a Eb Drop Db tuning.
    I could do the job myself, but last time I went ordering pots for an Ibanez I spent about $50 ordering the wrong ones & eventually getting some directly from Ibanez.

9. Got the B100 bridge in today, complete with screws & allen wrench:

[​IMG]

Wisebass and pcake like this.
  10. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Not anymore, due to the US tariffs on China. Squier moved their CV line from China to Indonesia. I doubt anyone who ships most their products to the US is moving production to China right now.

I was looking at one of these basses as I have been looking for a passive bass with a Humbucker. Also like the SR300E too because it can split the coils and do single coil.

11. I may have started to bite off more than I can chew. Even before installing the new bridge I've ordered another pre-owned GSR100 to use the neck. Hopefully it's a better neck than the one I have.
    Soon I'll have bass parts all over our kitchen, which I dread the thought.

12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    is the GSR100 you ordered to use the neck in worse shape than the current one?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. It looks like it's in better condition, but there was only one photo & not a close-up. It was the same when I bought the current one, didn't see the finish missing until it arrived.
    So, it's a gamble what sort of shape it'll be in TBH. I probably should have called first to ask if the neck has a joint in it like this one.

I'll have two necks & two bodies to fool around with next week, and pair together the best.
    I'm hoping the one arriving isn't lighter than my current one, or I'll consider going to the effort of swapping those new, better quality pots into it.

All-in it's a cheap project, would have cost heaps more to juggle Premium Ibanez around like this, LOL!

After all is said & done I might play it for the Summer & move it along in the Fall, like I did last year with a SR300EB.
    or it might grow on me

Might even stash it once in awhile until I feel like playing a really lightweight instrument again.

pcake likes this.