1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gsr200 vs. gsr200fmtbs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjoe23, Apr 22, 2006.

1. jokerjoe23

jokerjoe23

Apr 18, 2006
    Gamehenge
    Does anyone know the difference between the ibanez gsr200 and the gsr200fmtbs? I think the fmtbs has std pickups while the other has psnd pickups. What does this mean and which is better?

Thanks

2. I don't think it means much. I'm pretty sure the pickups sound similar. I'd go with the FM because of looks though. You can't go wrong with either, they are good starter basses and f you swap out the electronics in em they'll be even better.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd definatley go with the Filmed top, or I'd do what I did - hunt ebay and get a higher quality Ibanez for about the same price that is used.

I mean, an SR800 with HSC for 190 shipped? Well, also check for sellers who don't know what model they're selling with a low BIN price :p

4. Yea, SR800's own for the price.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, IMO one of the best parts is how much fun (I mean control!) the mid-sweep is. ADD or not, its just fun to play an open note, and just turn that knob....

6. jokerjoe23

jokerjoe23

Apr 18, 2006
    Gamehenge
    thanks guys, how much would it cost to upgrade the electronics on the gsr200fm? How much of a difference would it make?

7. Depends on what you want. A stop at www.bestbassgear.com should help you. And it would make a big diff.

I've given my GSR 190 a Badass bridge, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and wire them Volume-Blend-tone. It's also now fretless. And it plays and sounds really good. I'd say amplified sound wise it can compete with a Warwick Standard Corvette Fretless. The only problem with it now is that it hisses as it's not properly grounded.

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

It would probably make a significant difference but it really isn't worth doing. the GSR200 is actually a pretty nice little bass for the money but it's an entry level bass and priced accordingly.

Spending another $100-$200.00 upgrading the electronics would be better spent getting a higher end model to start with.