1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GSR200 vs. SR300 for starters...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by latecomer, Apr 28, 2009.

1. latecomer

latecomer

Apr 28, 2009
    Hi, need your advice... I´m about to get my first bass guitar.

I have decided for Ibanez and was looking for the GSR200 as it is considered a starter model and following advice from online teacher Andrew Pouska who says: "The pickups are probably the most influential part on a bass guitar’s tone..." and "If you are buying your first bass, I would suggest getting a P-J pickup configuration".

I like the idea of "variety" that the P-J combination should give, as I´ve never played before and will be looking for a tone to match my taste (could be from jazz, rock or something else).

However, for only US$25 more, I´ve found a new SR300 (with two EXF-4 Humbucking pickups, not the P-J combination).

If anyone could share thoughts about choosing between these two models as first-instruments for someone who is still searching for some appealing sound to play in the future.

Thanks...

2. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Buy the SR300. The GSR was my second bass and it was lackluster in every respect. I could not get the neck to play well. Seriously, buy the best playing and nicest looking bass you can afford at the moment. If you keep the bass you will be happy and be inspired by the playability and tone, if you decide to get rid of the bass at least it will keep some resale value. Garbage instruments make absolutely no sense for the consumer.

Also, the only limit to the soapbars, IMO, is that you can't nail the p-bass tone. For everything else the pickups can get close.

Good luck!

3. latecomer

latecomer

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks ashtray9, guess I´ll get the 300 then...

4. Get the SR300 - it has the 3-band "stylesweep" EQ like on my SR405QM. It has thunderous lows, and nice clean bright highs plus the "stylesweep" midrange control. It provides a huge tonal range. The SR necks are a tad thinner than the GSR, and really fast.

5. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    SR, of course.

6. latecomer

latecomer

Apr 28, 2009
    The store better still have the SR300 tomorrow...

7. the SR

8. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the "G" prefix in Ibanez gear is short for "sucks big fat sloppy ones" but don't quote me on that.

9. ronros

ronros

Mar 30, 2009
    heaven
    go for sr300

10. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    LOL! Good call sir. :) Another vote for the SR300.

11. i think i'm going to be the only one to say this, but the gsr 200 is actually pretty sweet. my first bass was the gsr 190, (i think it was actually better back then?) anyway, p/j pickup config, tone, volume, volume. the neck was fantastic, and it the best slap tone out of any bass i've had. but, again, that was years ago, and it was a gsr 190. the sr's are pretty sweet. i personally prefer p/j to humbuckers. but yeah, ibanez in general is a pretty good choice. bring money for either, go to the music store, play them both extensively through an amp, and decide from there. if you choose the gsr, sweet, you have some extra cash, maybe some accessories? either way, you got the bass you wanted.

good luck with learning bass!

12. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    SR400, but noneless, should be close to the SR300

13. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    dont mean to hijack the thread but i was also think about an sr 300 but the store only has the bad orange color.
    so i was wonderind about ibanez's consistancy is. because i would rather or a white one from MF. but if i get a dud i would rather have orange than worry about returning and that whole process
    any help would be helpful
    thanks in advance

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'd get the SR300.

15. I would say order the color you want - the pearl white with a maple neck looks pretty nice.

I have never got a bad Ibanez, and I'm on my 6th. Ibanez factory setups are just a little too low for me, but easily remedied. Easy setup.

16. latecomer

latecomer

Apr 28, 2009
    Hi everyone, this is an issue that should be easily solved on any FAQ board, but hey, I like to stir things around me.

Your opinions led definitely to the SR300. Well, it turned out to be an SR300DXF which is... fretless. Lined though. ANY other buyer would´ve notice that from the beginning, but not me. It´s an old stocked model (imported 3-4 years ago), brand new, very decently priced (I think) at about US$270.

Some good things (as far as I know/feel):
    1) It has the P-J pickup combination I was looking for at the beginning (even though I didn´t care too much about that after getting yours and other inputs).
    2) I really like the smoothness and such that comes out of a fretless instrument (wether it´s from jazz, rock, anything). I would like to play acoustic some day, so it´s obvious.
    3) I felt it light, easy to handle. Remember: I´ve never played before (and I think any SR300 would be light and manageable too).

Some bad(?) things:
    1) I like (I mean, would like in the near future) to slap sometimes. Don´t know how often, depends on how I move into my learning. Most information out says fretless do not slap right unless by freaking good players.
    2) MANY SIGNS OUT THERE SAYING: DO NOT START PLAYING ON A FRETLESS BASS GUITAR UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE LEARNED TO PLAY ON A FRETTED ONE.

Some thoughts:
    1) It´s lined, so I won´t be completely lost trying to find a place to land my fingers on, I think...
    2) I like challenges (yeah, go go go...).
    3) I´m sure I´ll get a second bass sometime. I´m sure it´s not gonna happen in the (very) near future. So If I get a fretless, I´ll have to learn on it.

I want to buy my bass this weekend (weekend starts on friday). Will really appreciate and enjoy your thoughts...

17. 1) I personally don't like the "DX" pickups - they are not the same as the newer EXF pickups, and lack bottom end. It also doesn't have the same EQ. If you want deep low end - you won't find it here. The DX line was discontinued.

2) Don't get a fretless unless you are specifically looking for a fretless. I wouldn't get a fretless for a first bass - at least go try one first before buying. They do sound different because of the lack of frets, and are harder to play.

18. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Buying a fretless as your very first instrument is a recipe for disaster. The bass guitar is hard to master, but at least you should be able to play some simple riffs after your very first lesson (Another One Bites The Dust comes to mind). With a fretless, well, not so much: you'll be struggling for weeks to get right notes consistently. Which, IMO, is a great way to discourage you from learning what is otherwise the most awesome instrument known to man.

(I will, however, admit that Jaco really makes the fretless sing ;) )

Keep looking into Ibanez instruments, but avoid the GSR line -- as someone else said, the G stands for Godawful. SR's are excellent all-rounders (me, I'm waiting for my 4005 to arrive), but you may also want to consider SRX's if you're more into metal, and the ATK line's been getting good press here on TB -- apparently, it can do the MusicMan Stingray sound (think Chic, or early RHCP) almost as well as the 'Ray itself, for 10% of the price.

19. +1 - That's one beautiful bass!

I wish I afford that one in the trans black - Nice Choice!

Be sure to show us pics!