Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GT-6B questions regarding preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ian Hunter, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Hi gang,
    I'm thinking of getting a GT-6B soon but i have a question regarding the preamp stage in the unit. Kinda vague, but how does the preamp stand up sound wise to a rack mount preamp like the SWR Grand Prix or Alembic F1-X? Is there a noticeable difference?

As a side note, I recently saw and heard "Quantum", with Alphonso Johnson. He was using the GT-6B and it sounded just awesome, considering his basses are those beautiful Modulus basses, but his amp was the house Yorkville system, which is in need of repair.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You probably heard most of Alphonso's tone from the house system......the GT-6B preamp aint bad, but it can't compare to a higher end pre like Alembic or SWR etc. I love Alphonso's playing:)

3. Jerry,
    Yeah, I was thinking that, but the house system here at the Yardbird Suite in Edmonton...well, I don't like taking shots at the volunteer techs and the gear.

Also, I was less than 3 feet away from the unit and Alphonso himself, and all I heard was the yorkville system.

i also agree with your assessment regarding the quality of the SWR and Alembic over the BOSS. I'm just looking to downsize my rig and be more portable yet have some "oomph" at my disposal.
    Ian

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Man you where close!!! Ian, did Alphonso use the Boss effects alot? BTW I enjoyed the clips from your web-site......I like what you guys are doing!

5. Hey Jerry,
    thanks for the comments regarding our very outdated website. I'm no longer working with PARAGON, but it was sure fun at the time.

Alphonso used the BOSS unit alot. His chorus sounds with his fretless was very clean, with no 'warble' at all, very clean and clear. The 'verbs during his solos really thickened the tone up, and this one solo he took had EQ with all the bottom end taken out, sounded like a small radio on steroids. One song he had the foot pedal before the delay so his notes would swell in. But even without the effects, his tone was just huge, and I'll tell you, you can't get that out of the Yorkville.

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've got a GT-6B and I run it through my m-2000's effect loop...I'd say the effects are all pretty good, with the exception of the envelope filter/wah.Waaaay too digital sounding...The preamps are good for an occasional effect,but I wouldn't rely on them for my main sound.

7. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I do have a question that relates to the original topic, that I haven't been able to get answered convincingly by the ignorant people I've talked to in music stores.

Can you bypass the "amp models" entirely and just use the effects on this unit? I already have a really nice modeling preamp (the Sansamp PSA-1) and don't need yet another set of amp models. But, as a multipurpose effects unit, I'll bet the quality of the effects on the Boss unit would be very nice. Seems very ruggedly built.

Thanks.

8. Nah, man,
    it's cool to ask those questions...sorry I don't have any responses for you. I'm still looking at the unit, and still trying to sell my SWR Grand Prix.

Hope your queries get answered.
    Ian

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yep you can bypass the preamp entirely,in fact tht's exactly what i do. I just use the unit for the effects. It's got a 3 band parametric EQ in it that you can program for each patch,in case you need to EQ a particular effect. For example,if you dialed up a killer flange patch but needed more or less low end compared to your unaffected sound,you could program the EQ with a low end bump for just that patch. Pretty cool! The thing I like about the GT-6B,is that it will pretty much do anything you want it to. It's very flexible. Just make sure you take the time to read the manual. Weak points? For me, I don't think the modeled preamps are that good, and the envelope/wah just doesn't sound very good to my ears. Real harsh sounding. I get much better results and sound from my EBS IQ pedal, which (granted) is entirely analog. . An interesting note, the specs show that the input and output of the unit are -10 db,which to me indicates that the unit is designed to be used through an effects loop..The manual,however, shows a bass to amp input hook up....works great in the loop for me.hope this helped

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Basicly what Wiley said......I don't use the preamp section most of the time....I have a Demeter and it's hard to beat that pre anyway:D I mostly use it for the effects.......except....Boss wha & synth effects still kinda suck:(

11. Thanks, guys. That's what I wanted to know. BTW, I had two guys in two different music stores tell me you couldn't do that. But they didn't seem to know much about anything, so I didn't believe them.

It's too bad the filter effects aren't that great. I wasn't really impressed with the Line 6 Filter Modeler, either. I've never messed with effects much at all, but would like to play around with them a bit if I found a good quality unit. Those other multi-effects units seem like toys to me.