1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GT-6B vs. BP8

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    NJ via London
    I am currently the proud owner of the big red behemoth known as the Boss GT-6B. Lots of cool tones reside in that big red box...

But... I used to own a Digitech BP8 - less features, less intuitive controls... but there was something about it, the effects somehow sounded "smoother"... maybe it was the built-in preamp valve, or just my taste in sounds.

So, I'm actually very close to punting on the GT-6B in favour of another BP8... does anyone have any thoughts on my dilemma?

Russ :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I totally agree with you. I went to individual pedals last year, and I'm definitely happier with my overall sound.

Prior to that, I'd used a BP-8 for two-three years. Despite it's non-intuitive interface, to my ears it was a much nicer sound than the gt-6b which I also owned for a while. I'm certain it had a lot to do with the tube. I still think about getting another BP8 for small gigs sometimes, whereas I never think about the GT6B - that says it all to me.

All multi effects boxes are a compromise, and the best (for example) overdrive pedal will almost always be better than the best overdrive patch on a multi fx box. But for me the BP-8 was the best compromise between the multi-fx box world and the multi pedal world.