GT-7 Owners HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jun 23, 2004.

1. ok, heres the dealio.

i really want a conklin GT-7. i have played a used one at a pawn shop, but that sold quick. Seeing that i live in Canada, i have run into a few problems...........

i need to find a way of getting one, and seeing that musicians friend does not ship to canada, it seems i am almost **** out of luck. i live in Hamilton Ontario, and i can travel to the Greater Toronto Area if needed. i need to find a store that is either a conklin dealer, or somebody who can order me one. Anyone know where i can do this?

also, i need to be able to buy strings for the conklin (preferably snakeskins). anyway, fellow TR'er cods had told me that he uses a six string set, then buys a single guitar string and tunes it to F. i really do not want to resort to this, so does anyone have any suggestions of where i can find some?

thanks alot once again,
  2. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey man. ok, one at time.

A. Have you tried looking on ebay? Every time i look on there theres a good 4-5 GT-7's on there, and theyd probably be a lot cheaper than the new ones anyway. I'd seriously give that a consideration, and I would bet that a few (if not all) of them would ship to canadia :) .

B. For strings...I tried a set of conklin snakeskins...and....well, I absolutely hated em. Very clattery, makes a lot of noise, didnt feel very good...i dunno, they just rubbed me the wrong way. Since I don't use my high F nearly as much as the other strings, I kept the snakeskin F on there and bought a set of ken smith slap masters, and enjoy those alot more. One thing ive been meaning to do as soon as i get some money (and a job....yayyy college summer work..) is look into the whole TI string thing, as I've heard plenty about those (look in the strings section).

Granted, when i break my F, which will happen soon, ill undoubtedly convert to a low F# instead, but thats a whole different topic!

If ya need any of my other silly opinions, feel free to PM me (and im sure others will offer their great advice).

Maybe ask John Turner about what strings he uses? seems like he plays a lot of extended range instruments (well ok, doenst seem that way, he DOES).

3. i really appreciate your help. and i will take that string statement to heart, because i dont see myself using the high f too often that i couldnt change it maybe every other time i change strings. and thanks for the ebay tip, but the thing is, i live in canada. i browse ebay alot looking for deals, and see alot of GT-7's, but nobody will ship to Canada.

anybody else?
  4. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Heh, well if you find any GT-7's in chicago, and dont mind my ameteurness in out of country shipping, ill ship it to ya. : )
  5. :D thanks!

anyway, please people, i need your help desperately!!! :help:

i did a search, and browsed the GT-7 threads, and found nothing on what i need.
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    BassCentral is a dealer, and will ship to Canada (they should, anyways, I had to order my Fodera simply because a customer in Italy bought the one off the wall before I got back to them about it)

Their prices are generally fair and if you have a specific quote Gard will do everything he can to match it.

Brand new they're about 1100 bucks IIRC, so the used route is good... *most* eBayers (I know myself at least) shouldn't have a problem shipping to Canada from the States, seeing as how it doesn't cost much more and doesn't go overseas - just ask. Some will, some won't. Some don't even know the option exists to show in the auction that you'll ship to "US and Canada"... about 700USD for a used one any day of the week. Email me and I may be able to hook you up with one from a guy I almost bought it from. (I decided on 6 instead of 7 this time)
  7. thank you!!!! i didnt realize bass central shipped to canada. i think that i want a new one, so i will email bass central. but, if i find that moeny is an issue, i will go on the used route through ebay. thanks again.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I called musician's friend, and they said they shipped to canada o_0.
  9. thats funny, i emailed them not too long ago, and they said they didnt. well, thanks. thats all i need to know.