Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gt (groove tube) amp head (top)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebug, Mar 27, 2002.

1. I can buy a second hand GT amp head (and speaker) from a local store for a very fair price, does anyone here know anything about Groovetube amp heads? are they any good? (I don't know if amp head is the right term but I believe it is)

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm not sure what you are looking at but the only BASS gear Groove Tubes ever made was a preamp built for them by SWR. It would look more or less like the current SWR SM-500 head.

So in addition to a cabinet you'd need a power amp, too.

It might be a Groove Tubes guitar amp head, which you wouldn't want for bass anyway.

From SWR's web site:

GT Preamp
    SWR manufactured this preamp only version of the Studio 220 for Sylmar, California neighbors GT Electronics from 1984 until 1994.

3. It definately is a bass amp head. I just had a change to try it. The label on the head says: "GT Studio pro Tube Amp head". I don't know what brand the speaker is or how much watt but it looked good to me (it has a volume control and a power switch on it so it has a build in amp, is this what they call a power amp?) The top just sits on the speaker.

Anyway the sound was huge!, the shop that sells the amp is kinda small and the owner wanted to show me how much noise this thing makes when you turn the volume control just 1/4 of its total, man my ears are still ringing :eek: ! but what a beautifull sound lot's of warmth, highs, lows really everything, wow!. Can't wait to get this thing home....

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I am not familiar with Groove Tools products myself, but by the sound of it (no pun intended) this is a nice set up. I think what really matters is how you like the sound that the rig produces. As long as there is nothing inherently wrong the the amp and the price is as fair as you say it is then I say go for it. BTW cool Floyd avatar.

5. well I couldn't resist the offer and bought it today, it's a GT Studio Series Tube Pre-amp for Bass (980w) connected to a Solton SBS 15 Processor Bass System and it sounds awesome. Tried it out this afternoon and almost blew the windows:eek:

oohh and btw, the floyd avatar does indeed rule! He is my biggest influence! I really like your avatar too, isn't that Calvin from Bill Waterson? I really love those comics, great Groucho sign too!

:D

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah...that preamp is just a preamp...

do you have to plug in your speaker too? cos i think that's an active sub you've got there.

that would explain why it makes sound :)

7. yep I also plug in the speaker, which isn't really just a speaker but a Processor Bass System or something. Everything sounds great but it's quite a puzzle to get the best sound out of it, man do you have a lot of choices :eek: .