GTG with lots of basses played/reviewed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tombowlus, Feb 27, 2006.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know that this is an Off Topic thread, but the results from the GTG at my house this past weekend include a number of "mini reviews" of basses, amps, cabs, etc. When the dust settles, I'll probably condense it on my blog somewhere, but for anyone who might be interested, check out this thread:

Bowlus Bass Borg GTG

2. Actual reviews and pictures start on page 14:)
  3. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks Ken for the info... I was a bit scared by this 24 pages thread.

4. +1 Actually, most of the best pictures start on page 17, so it's really not too bad.

I'm hoping Tom reposts the thread in a condensed version sometime.

In Summary.... lot's of really nice basses. From my best recollection, the big winners of the two nights (i.e., the basses the majority of us really liked and thought were 'best in class'... from my direct evaluation on Friday, and many PM's with Saturday attendees).

- Tom's 24 Fret Mahogany Modern Sadowsky... for a modern, boutique sound in an ultra playable, light, small package
    - Ken's Celinder Update 5... Boutique 70's J Bass at its best
    - Steve's Sadowsky NYC Vintage.... lot's written about these
    - Tom's Skjold 4 - Hippie sandwich heaven, reasonably priced, lot's of different sounds
    - Ken's Rob Allen MB-2 fretless... very unusual woody fretless tone, and probably one of the lightest basses ever made.
    - Vic's MTD Maple/Ebony board, heavy ash MTD.... super crisp and punchy
    - Tom and Vic's Chambered MTD.... very unique... MTD sound plus open, airy, punchy, fat... what can't they do!

All the MTD's really shined IMO... we had 5 of them there... all were IMO the best fit and finish and playability of all the basses, and other than the Skjold, had the most versatile pre's... many, many different sounds in those basses. It's amazing how many of those basses Mike produces, and they are all one of a kind beauties.

I can honestly say there wasn't a bass there that I didn't like. Some of the more 'production model' basses were wonderful... the Lakland DJ's, the Fender Geddy Lee, the new MM double pickup stingray, Peavey Cirrus... all just great!

I"m sure Tom will add to or change any of the above that I may have gotten wrong or forgot (I was only there on Friday)
  5. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I'm sad that I decided not to go. Regrets...
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Total +1 to what Ken posted, other than I need to emphasize how unbelievable Vic's solid ash body, maple top, maple neck, ebony board 535 sounds. This is not a combination that you ever seem to hear people gush about, but it just wowed everyone.

Other standout instruments:

Vic's Roscoe: an awesome finish that gets better and better the closer you get (very impressive!), one of the most unusual fingerboards I've ever seen, a very light bass and a great player, and one of the best low B's of the GTG - it was beaten only by...

Skjold Custom 5 - I really should have changed the strings before the GTG, but I thought the Black Beauties looked so nice on it. But man, did it come alive with a new set of DR Hi Beams. I'll let Vic tell you about the B string on the Skjold. :D

Gretsch Broadkaster - a few people picked it up and played acoustically on Friday night, but MikeBass gave it a workout on Saturday night. Beyond wow! :eek: That bass can do a lot more than people might think.

Josh's Karl Hoyt 4 - this "hippie sandwich custom at Guitar Center price" beauty turned more than a few heads with its beautiful looks, aggressive sound, and out of this world pricing.

Any of the Geddy Lee Fenders - these basses are stupid good for the money.

Either of the Lakland Skyline DJ4's - these basses are stupid good for the money (is there an echo in here?).

Pat's Music Man Stingray - man, that second pickup gives this bass a huge range of sounds (huge!), and the fit and finish of this "production" bass was such that it could hold its head high amongst all the "boutique" basses.

'73 Jazz - it seems there is something to that "vintage thing." :p

Gibson Thunderbird - I made a believer out of Vic. If only I had broken it out on Friday and made Ken play it! :D

There's more, but dang, there were so many great basses there...