1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gtr Audition Faux Pas

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JoZac21, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    My current band (a funk/soul/rock outfit playing originals) has been auditioning new guitarists for the last two weeks.

We've had 6 come through...

Here are a few statistics:

1 Showed up on time.
    2 Brought a tuner.
    2 forgot a guitar strap.
    3 kept playing a maj. 3rd when I called out Bb dorian, no matter how much I leaned on the min. 3rd.
    4 were too loud
    5 kept their shoes/socks on :eyebrow: (sorry, I don't like feet)
    2 could be described as good.

We're a new band, and I know people aren't killing each other trying to join our group... but it is still the music industry last time I checked... what happened to professionalism? An audition is a time in which you are trying to sell yourself as a product... and if the product is an irresponsible, aloof, sub-par musician, you're wasting my time.

No Strap, No Tuner (No Shoes) no gig.

/rant.

2. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Of the 6, how many were off of CL or the like? If a larger percentage are from CL, I would say you are doing quite well with 2 players that could be described as good.

3. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    All 6 were from craigslist... but, with that said, we ALL met via CL... and this is one of, if not the, most talented groups of musicians I've ever played with. Our leader is typically pretty good at screening.

4. You wouldn't like playing with me then. I hate shoes and usually take them off sometime before or during practice. I do keep my socks on though. Our former guitarist's wife nicknamed me the Shoeless Horseman.

5. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Eh, if we were close and you took off your shoes, that'd be one thing... I'd probably still cringe, but that's fine I guess...

But if you're auditioning for a band, full of people you don't know, and it's a formal-ish audition, that's a whole different ball game.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Stay away from Nashville. No one has shoes here. All rumors are true.

7. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    My guitarist use to wear sandals to set up at gigs, til we were taking down one of the mains off the sub, he lifted it crooked, the pole stuck in the mains hole and then fell directly on his big toe.

Now he sports appropriate footwear.