Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guage Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hanales, Dec 4, 2003.

1. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    So I've decided to start tuning my 34" scale 6
    d g c f a# e

So I like my strings tight and snappy, but I keep breaking that high e, and the a# isn't too happy either. Can anyone recommend a good guage set to use with this setup? I don't mind buying singles and mixing and matching up, I'm just too lazy to do trial and error.

Any help would be great thanks,

--rev

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Fascinating tuning! Can't imagine how you handle that tritone from Bb to E, but sounds cool.

But I think you're gonna cause neck problems cranking standard gauge strings up like that (even super-light gauge), so I think you need to try something different. I would recommend considering detuning a heavy gauge set of standard 4 strings (EADG, like maybe .110 to .055 or something) to the DGCF, and then adding maybe an .040 or .036 for the Bb and an .025 or .028 for the E. I use a .020 plain (unwound) single for my high F (traditional-tuned 7-string) but that's for a light gauge feel. You'll prolly have to try a few different things before you find the final answer.

But you can find virtually every string that's ever been offered as a single at www.juststrings.com (no commercial interest, just a happy customer).

3. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Hey thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about neck problems.

It's basically my disgust with every low B I've played, and until I can afford something ridiculously nice with a snappy low B, I decided to just use the most common low note that I use currently, and tune from there.

Things will get more insane though, I get my first seven string this saturday :D

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yow, cool! What 7? Conklin Groove Tools like mine, or something boo-teek?

I'll tellya, though, you try tuning a 7 up three half steps ike that, you're gonna have a tough time keeping those high F strings from breaking.

But maybe the answer is in your reason for the altered tuning -- that you just haven't liked the sound of the low B. Could be you just need to do some string experimentation. You should probably just buy a few individual low B strings from juststrings.com -- and when you find one you like, just buy the rest of the set.

The hard part about others helping you with this request is that (a) I've never heard of anyone tuning a 6 like you do, and (b) we don't know what you want the low B to sound like.

I can't wait to hear how this works out!

5. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Yeah it's a GT-7, nothing botique for me yet. I'm too cheap :D

I guess the tone I want is that ringing spector E, just on a B. something tight and ringing. Steinbergers get close to that tone that I like, but they are pretty hard to find (The Q's anyway).

But I know what you mean about the B's. It seems like every time I buy a set, the low B is always dead out of the box. I just have to start investing in nicer sets.

Ahh well, just gives me an excuse to keep buying and selling basses :D

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Have you tried the taperwound low B's? If not, I recommend you include them in your search. They tend to ring a little better.

However, your quest to fing the "perfect" low B -- one that sounds just like a low E, only lower -- is not a new quest. In fact, the Fender Roscoe Beck sig model was developed by Fender's custom shop with Mr. Beck himself for exactly that reason -- to recreate the sound of Roscoe's beloved vintage Jazz's low E on a B string. It's not an easy trick, and with most basses will be a compromise at best.

But that doesn't mean you quit trying! Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you discover on your Groove Tools! The neck on that bass is surprisingly solid for a bolt-on, and may get you closer to your goal.

where are you getting this bass from -- a store? New? Used? e-bay? Red or natural?