Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guelph Festival N' Dresser

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hey All, i'm back from the Guelph Jazz Festival, man! what a cool little town., so here's my run down of my day there, got up at 9:00AM showered and met up with Mark Dresser in his hotel room for a one-on-one lesson which was REAL heavy, man can he make my bass sound fu**ing great!! absolutely awesome technique and I learned tons, he even showed me how he gets his subharmonics, also bought his new solo disc off of him "Unveil" which is real real intense I highly recommend it.... then we hit the jazz tent for a group from montreal playing some furious Fela Kuti inspired afrobeat grooves, then onto Sticks and Stones who were alright, a little too much free-jazz noodleage with not enough purpose, then Satoko Fujii quartet with Dresser and Jim Black, this guy Jim Black is a young cat and man can he play! kind of guy who can play a three piece kit for two days non-stop and never run out of licks...very inventive, as a whole the quartet's performance left us all in paralysis, I can honestly say it was the most intense show i've probably ever seen in my life, it left us all with goosebumps for about a solid 2 hours after...words can't do it justice, if you can catch them during their 10 day tour, do it! it's worth the cash...all in all a great weekend, wish there were jazz fests every weekend

2. cdrbass

cdrbass

Sep 13, 2005
    The Afro-beat band you heard was called Follow Follow. Montreal's finest play in that band. I took a masterclass with Mark Dresser in May and I was really blown away. However, I have a question. What on earth is the technique for bitones? I am very curious, and also very in the dark. Did he show you this?

3. yeah....Reiner Weines' Follow Follow was pretty groovin', the band sounded pretty tight considering they haven't been playing in that format for too long, they played a few well known Fela covers which had the crowd goin'....however if your gonna go check out an afrobeat band there's a few other cats who are much stronger at it, was fun though we got to chat with Jean Derome for a bit after the show, real nice guy....
    as for Dresser he showed me a number of very interesting extended technques however, bitones weren't one of em, that one I got on my own, it's essentially the simultaneous sounding of the two sides of the string from the stopped note, so hold down a note and with the index play on one side of it and with the middle play on the other.

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    That's pretty neat, man.

A long time ago I watched a Mingus video...don't remember too much I was concentrating on other things at the time but he was filmed playing a solo doing this sort of thing. I want to remember he was using more than one string while doing a similar maneuver and sliding his hands in opposite directions at the same time...more of a sound-effect-slash-stage-maneuver than anything but don't hold it against me if my memory is off.

5. it's a definate neat effect, yeah I heard Mingus do it with Dolphy once, the rest of the band drops out, and these two guys talk to eachother back and forth, which is wicked cause the bitone has these microtonal nuances which at times sound just like the human voice....very scary

6. cdrbass

cdrbass

Sep 13, 2005
    as for Dresser he showed me a number of very interesting extended technques however, bitones weren't one of em, that one I got on my own, it's essentially the simultaneous sounding of the two sides of the string from the stopped note, so hold down a note and with the index play on one side of it and with the middle play on the other.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. There are a lot of interesting sounds in that. What else did Mark talk about? I'd love to see him again sometime soon.

7. Thanks. There are a lot of interesting sounds in that. What else did Mark talk about? I'd love to see him again sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

yeah for sure, next time he's close to town i'm gonna hook up with him again for a refresher.....btw where did you do that masterclass?, where ya from ? maybe fill out some o' dat profile, it's always nice to see where people are from etc...
    as for what else we talked about, lots of harmonic exercises, I asked him to show me the subharmonics, we also tackled "flautando" harmonics as well, then some technical issues and basics

8. cdrbass

cdrbass

Sep 13, 2005
    btw where did you do that masterclass?

I'm in Montreal, took the masterclass back in May, but I had to split for a gig before it was finished. I'm super interested in Dresser's stuff for a variety of reasons.

9. that's cool man, there's a good happenin' scene in Mtl. for this kind of stuff, I as well am very interested in Dresser's sound explorations, (Turetzky (the man), Scodanibbio, Kowald, Guy etc...) I consider myself a sound explorer first and everything else second....the amount of timbres that come out of his bass are surreal, the pick up system in which he is now using is real heavy in terms of tones, he's able to get 3 simultaneous pitches on one string (just imagine the possibilities...) I also got the chance to see him perform 2 hours of bass duets with my old prof. and was completely blown off my seat, his bag of tricks are truly everlasting