1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guess Gene Simmons isnt as dumb as everyone thinks......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Interesting interview of his I found recently.

Nice to hear him talk music for once. Also, he clearly does know how to read and write music, but he loves to bill himself as having made this success solely on his own guns. Also find it a bit odd that the interviewer didnt know that 21st Century Schizoid man was by King Crimson.

:cool:

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    He could have been using a stand-in, as he does on the records. ;)

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA

That's actually not true. In the 80s, he actually did have a couple play ghost but all they played on those records were roots and 8ths because he was busy with movies. Gene played on all the songs that really matter, during the 70s and early eighties.

I get your sarcasm though.

;)

4. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Wow, Gene Simmons listened to King Crimson AND plays bass too? Impressive!

5. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    :D

6. he's an underrated player. not flashy, but he writes solid ,melodic, hooky parts.

7. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    I've never heard anyone say on TB that Gene was "dumb."

8. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals

Not trying to start drama, but he actually says he can't read and by extension write music.

"Gene: No. I can't read a stick of music, I've written hundreds of songs, I've had them covered by Lenny Kravitz and Stevie Wonder, and Cher, and almost anybody that you care to mention, but I couldn't tell you if you wrote it down on a sheet of paper"

He can write songs for sure, but not the musical notation of it...just sayin. :bag:

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    gene simmons doesn't care about our stupid opinions

10. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    I know that's what he says, but he always says that to make it look like he's some big shot for having got this far without reading music. I believe he and Paul Stanley both can read music. I remember reading something in one of their books about them composing a bunch of their songs on staff paper. Also, he mentions SUS4 and major and minors and clearly knows chord names and stuff.

11. GENE SIMMONS IS A LIAR!

:bag:

12. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    :meh:

:smug:

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Gene was dumb.

Gene is dumb.

14. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    :eyebrow:

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Contrary to what you have posted, the vast majority of not just TB'ers, but society in general thinks of him as a very intelligent person and excellent business man. Only when he is compared to solo wankers like Wooten and Jaco do his bass skills become suspect, and even then the arguments are dull and pointless.

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Sander Sham and the Farrels? Oh yeah, they did Willy Billy!

17. Don't quote me on this, but I've heard others on here say that Ace wrote his basslines for him. Not sure if thats true or not, but I can't say I've really seen Gene do much outside of KISS after they stopped making new music.

18. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Not true at all. He's highly intelligent and will figure out a way use our opinions to make money.
    I toured with one of his former roadies who described him as "barely human" though and I'd buy that.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    oh, you mean last year? they just put out a new album called "sonic boom." and ace has been in and out of kiss for such long periods that it would be impossible for ace to write all his basslines.

there is a name for the stuff you heard...falsehoods. you don't sing and play like gene without having a little something on the ball.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i know sander sham! but not the farrels. we're usually the farrels when he's on a show with us.