1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guess how many watts I have

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Implosion, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    I've got the Samson SX 12000 power amp. According to the manual and the homepage the specs are: 300W @ 8 ohms per channel and 450W @ 4 ohms per channel. Bridged mono 900W @ 8 ohms (bridged part is only in the manual). These specs make sense and I was under the impression that these were the minimum loads.

Then I noticed that my few things on my amp (and also on the box it came):

1a.
    1200 Watts @ 4 ohms bridged?
    1200 Watts once again, marked on the front panel.

2a.
    The channel Watts are like they are in the specs, but the 4 ohms minimum for bridge doesn't support the specs.

I searched the internet and found out that lots of places sell these with the following specs: 300W @ 8ohms per channel, 450W @ 4omhs per channel and 600W @ 2 ohms per channel. This would explain the 1200W @ 4 ohms bridged. Samson's homepage has also got a contractor document pdf that has got the 1200W bridged thing. But this is nowhere to be found on the manual.

This quote is a part of an older thread.

I sent e-mail to Samson asking if it was the same thing with them as Crown had. They replied by saying 900 Watts is a mis-print and 600 Watts is right. More confusion for me (600W @ at what mode and in stereo or bridge). I e-mailed back again with questions but didn't still quite recieve the answers to my questions. Allthough, they replied that the amp can't handle 2 ohms. But did they mean bridged? That I've would have known. They guy (friendly dude) mailing also said that there's a lot of confusion with this amp because of mis-printing. I don't what to believe in now and I'm waiting for a reply to my new mail.

So how many watts does my amp have? :D

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm guessing two.

A "watt the hell" and a "watt the ****"

:p

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The 450/channel at 4 is perfectly consistent with 1200W bridged at 4... Same basic wattage progression as the SVT-4PRO.

Either their customer service is really rotten, or they have a way lot of mis-prints on their unit...... no way to tell which.

But, If you go by what is actually printed on the amp, there will be a pretty good case in your favor if there is a warranty issue, and they say you used the wrong impedance.....!

BTW, Samson does not have the finest record on total honesty and reality of wattage, but it is good enough that I'd tend to believe their ratings are close.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Beware!!! Most amps that are printed out and sold in that manner are only built to bridge at 8 ohms, and will fry at 4 ohms bridged!! If it would bridge at 4 ohms, the manual would say so! Lots of amps will work just fine, are just fine when ran at higher impedences, but will not bridge at a 4 ohm load.

5. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    For the bridged 1200W at 4 ohms to be consistent the amp's single channels must be able to run at 600W @ 2 ohms? Or have I got this wrong?

From the manual: "in bridge mode use 8 or 16 ohm speaker load". But on the previous page (which is about the protectino circuitry) it says that the protection circuitry will activate if the output impedance drops below 2 ohms. :confused: Doesn't this mean that a single channel can be run at 2 ohms and therefore bridge mode could have a 4 ohm minimum load?

The guy from the customer service said in his e-mail that the amp can not run at two ohms. But I'm not sure if he ment the bridge mode, because I was asking about the bridge mode in general. It's weekend now so I'll have to wait 'till monday to get answers to my new mail.

This amp model has been around since January 2005, so one would think that they would have had the time to fix-up all the mis-prints. I'm fine with 900W @ 8 ohms, but I would like to eventually add another 8 ohm cab to my rig, but if the bridge doesn't support it, then I'll have to run it at 600W.

Also on the AC input of the amp it says: 230V, 50/60Hz, 1550W. I'm not an EE, but in my mind the amp should produce more than 900W if the power input is 1550W? I don't know...something like 1200W maybe? :D

6. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    That's my concern. The product's homepage ( http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1799&brandID=2 )offers two kinds of documents. Manual has the 8 ohm bridge, but the contractor document has the 4 ohm bridge. And I quite haven't got the response to my question from the customer service.

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Be safe.
    Use lowest of 8ohm bridged
    4ohm a side

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The contractor data sheet provides the spec of 1200W at 4 ohms bridged in the text AND in the spec table.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/SX1200.pdf

AND it is printed on the unit.

I think you are OK with that.

Of course, the regular owners manual provides totally conflicting information......

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/SX_OM_5L_v5_31.pdf

In one place it says ONLY 8 and 16 ohm speakers in bridge, but every PICTURE of the back shows the 4 ohm minimum load in bridge...................

AND the connections on page 10 of manual show a 4 ohm speaker connected in bridge with note "4 ohm min" (and also an 8 ohm with the "8 ohm min" note).

Looks like the manual was poorly translated.

I still say that no matter what, if it's printed on the back of the unit you can do it, and they cannot complain that you abused it.

9. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland

I didn't notice that before. To my knowledge there's no difference if you are using a speakon or binding output? I would think that the speakon picture has been put there just to show how to wire the connectors in it for the bridge mode.

Allthough to contradict the 4 ohm bridge yet again, the manual doesn't show 2 ohm load connections for the stereo or parallel mode for a single channel in the connection examples. Well, hopefully I'll get some answers next week. Thanks for the input people!

10. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    A little update.

I thought about e-mailing Samson again with my questions and decided to ask only one simple question, so that they couldn't avoid answering it :D

Question: Does the SX1200 power amp produce 1200 Watts?

The answered: No it doesn't. For 1200 watts you would want the SX2400 Bridged Mono at 4 ohms.

:confused:
    Again, they must be looking at different specs down at corporate HQ, than they have printed on the manuals. The specs for the SX2400 are posted in the same way as are for the SX1200. According to the manuals they could only be bridged to 8 ohms, where do they come up with the four ohm bridge now? Also the 1200 watts is not consistent with it's specs.

The main difference between the two models is that SX1200 is class AB and the the SX2400 is class H. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the minimum load? Right?

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I think that it will be safe to run 1200w bridged @ 4 ohms, despite what the "misprinted" manual says. Those specs are consistent with competing brands' power amps, which typically bridge down to 4 ohms, but not 2. The unit also says "Bridge Min. 4 ohms".