Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess I'm just an Ampeg kinda guy....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jun 10, 2002.

1. After always owning Ampegs, I decided to try Eden a few months back. I guess it was OK, but not what I was expecting, and I just never got "my sound" out of it. Plus, I didn't like the parametric eq, too many decisions for me to make regarding EQ.

So now I'm back to Ampeg, where I mostly just set it flat and love the sound. To me, it's what electric bass was meant to sound like. It's nice to know that I'll never have to change rigs again.

By the way, if you checked my profile, I'm now using a B2R with 4x8 cab. But yesterday, I used 2 4x8 cabs; man, the sound was HUGE!

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have the same rig. Is your cab a BSE-410H? Does the second 410 make that big a differance? I want another cab to get full power out da bitch!

3. my cab is the SVT-48, I think HE? it's 4 -8s, not 10's. Two cabs makes a pretty big difference, both because of the increased speaker area, and the fact that instead of 200 watts, the amp was putting out 350. I can't imagine ever needing more sound out of a rig.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Thanks Mark. That's very reassuring to here. This will be the way I'll go.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well I guess that's just the way it is. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. :D I've been using Ampegs for 20 years. Every time I'd get the urge to try some new flavor of the month I end up going back to Ampeg

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've had the same exaxct experience!!!! I've tried Aguilar, Eden, Esh, etc, & Ampeg is it. The Aguilar stuff I tried was very nice thou!!!!

7. I'm a fairly recent convert. When I first heard the SVT that I eventually bought (the one whose guts you see in my avatar), I knew I had to have one! Then I got an SVT 410 HLF and wahoo!
    I spent years trying and owning all kinds of amps, Peavey, GK, SWR etc and never finding exactly the sound I wanted. Until I found the SVT! Ampeg stuff definitely has a characteristic sound, that you either dig or don't I guess.

8. I'm a recent convert...

Before I thought SWR was the answer, but it just got to be to thin on the tone and too harsh...And then I tried out Ampeg and it became what I strived to sound like...or something close to that.