Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess the Wood!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FzzyNoNoseChimp, Jan 17, 2005.

1. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Hey guys this is a piece of wood my grandfather has quite a bit of and he wanted me to see if any of you professionals can guess what it is. Being a master carpinter himself, he knew quite a few friends that he stumped and I wanted to see if you TB'ers could guess what it was.

I plan on using it for my body for my up and comming bass. Good Luck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And no, I won't be using a pickguard, there's no way I would cover up this wood!

Rock on' :bassist:

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I'm guessing oak?

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I was thinking white oak, but i didn't figure how white oak would fool a bunch of carpenters?

4. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Nope. Think more tropical. Surfing, sand, and nice beaches.

5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Palm? Koa?

6. Looks kind of like Koa though I've never seen koa that wasn't finished.

7. So you're saying that you always thought Koa "in-the-wild" grew with knobs attached and a tung oil finish? :D

I'm just playing - I couldn't resist!

Some parts of that board look like pecan or hickory while others look tropical like my brethren have said. I tend to think it's neither pecan or hickory because of the size of the board. Old hickory might get that large but I bet you would be hard pressed to find pecan that big.

What would really help is a focused pic and a shot of the endgrain.

8. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Alright I think I'll just tell you boys. It's Hawaiian Mango. My grandpa was sent quite a bit of it last year and he's been using it to build all sorts of things from chairs to cabinents. When I went to Hawaii last year I saw a guy with a ukelele out of it, very pretty wood when finished, lots of different colors. I'm pretty excited to see how it will work out, I'll be sure to share when I'm done.

9. Doesn't Koa grow in the shape of basses? :spit:

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hmm, never been to Hawaii, but when I was in Barbados they had mango trees, but none of the ones I saw would have given boards nearly that wide. Looking foreward to seeing progress pics...

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    That is some wide mango. Mango does not generally make it to the mainland. Much less than even koa (which I have never seen locally). He tricked us!

12. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    So, to some of you experienced luthiers out there, what kind of tone can I expect to get out of this wood? Or is this going to be one unique endeavor.

13. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I was going to guess driftwood. Seriously though, I used to live on Maui. I never thought about mango as a luthier wood. I wouldn't expect some miraculous tone out of it, more than any other type of wood. It looks like a thin piece you're using for just the top. Looks pretty though. I'll be going to Maui next year. I'll look for some. Good luck with it.

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sweet, Juicy highs and tangy lows. Makes a great chutney, just a little bit of bite to it, but mellows when it ripens with age.

Just kidding... I have no idea!!! :D

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Karl Hoyt has built at least one using Mango. Very nice.

[​IMG]

16. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Actually it's a block about 1- 3/4'' thick, so it's not thin at all, it's going to be one solid piece of Hawaiian mango.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Must be the camera angle. Looks thin in the photo. My bad. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the tone when you're done.

18. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    I'll be keeping the whole gang posted, stay tuned for updates soon. I'll probably make a new thread one I have the body cut out and the routing begins taking place.

19. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    I have built two curly mango basses. The esteemes Bob gollihur owns one, and the other one (pictured) ended up back in hawaii via e-bay to the guy who originally put me in touch with a wood supplier there, whome I bought the wood from.

the wood machines nicely, has a tap-tone similar (but not as ringing) as maple, grain seals nicely and takes finish well. I suspect that it will mellow nicely with age.

akrl hoty

(if the pic was better and my 52 year old eyes were better, I woulda guessed it :spit: )

20. FzzyNoNoseChimp

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Mar 13, 2004
    Thanks for the input sir. The bass looks astounding!