Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess what I found at my Guitar Center today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Dec 4, 2003.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A used 70's Fender Bassman 135. I haven't bought it or played through it, but if it's still there after christmas, it's MINE. If it's not, i'll weep like a little baby. :bawl: They want $399 for it. Is that a good price? Any suggestions on how to haggle? I will definately try it before I get it. :bassist:

I also don't care about clean headroom, as I like a good overdriven bass sound through a tube amp, as I will need lots of sustain and feedback. :D

2. By all means, PLAY the thing first! Guitar Center often buys junked used amps without even checking them in the hopes that they'll score big bucks for a "vintage" piece. A good condition Bassman 135 is worth about $350. I'll wager they have less than $200 in the amp. The minimum is probably $300.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    IMO, '70s bassmen are good guitar amps but very poor bass amps. When you try it, compare it to other amps in the same price range. Maybe you will like the tone -- I definitely don't.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If by "poor" you mean they overdrive easily, then that's what I'm looking for. :bassist: Do they retain their bottom when you push them?:confused:

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, they overdrive far too soon for me. How much bottom do you need? I think the fenders just spread a mud zone. If you play a 5er, old tube amps don't cut it IMO. I have a vintage sunn that doesn't break up as soon and I like it w/ my 4 but not my 5.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, I only play a 4 anyways, so it's cool. :cool: