Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Jan 20, 2006.

1. What's Happenin

Last week Saturday I stopped in the local Sam Ash Music,
    Paramus, NJ to be exact. I was just looking around and to my surprise I came across a used Tobias 5 String and the asking price was $399. I took a closer look and took her out for a test drive...great bass for the money I thought. :hyper:

I thought about it for a few days and I decided that I could not pass up another great bass because I took too long to decide. She now has a new happy home with yours truly. I have played other more expensive Tobias basses and liked them but the cost was more than I wanted to part with, I am feeling pretty good about myself.

I do have a question though how could such a nice bass like this go unnoticed for so long. Is there anyone out there that have real world experience with late Model Tobias Basses? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance Peace!
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I assume it's a Gibson Tobias, maybe a "Toby Pro" or whatever they called them? I think those were going for around that price. Alot of people have conflicting opinions on the Gibon Tobias basses.

But if you like it, then it qualifies as a good find for sure.
  3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Do you know what model it is? Pics? Is the neck a bolt-on or neck-through? Do the pickups say 'Tobias' or are they Bartolini?

If you don't have pics, describe the bass a little regarding pickup configuration, control knob layout, etc.

The Toby Pro basses have four control knobs in a diamond layout.

These are the ones sold by

The Gibson Tobias basses have two lower end models, the Renegade and Growler - both of these have an MM pickup and the Renegade adds a jazz. All the others have soapbars and a 5-knob control layout.

Anything sound familiar?

For that price, I'm guessing it's a Toby Pro bolt-on - which may actually be a little high for a used price.

Anything else, and you may have gotten a decent to pretty good deal - depending on the model (and how much you like the bass).
  4. enigmaticzidon

Dec 5, 2005
    I bought one 2 weeks ago over here in the UK and i agree this bass is amazing....

when i first got it wasnt set up 2 well strings were too low etc but once i got it set up for free by the shop WOW what a bass and i payed only £350 for mine...

most soundcontrols i have been in are sellign them off for this price and they are also selling the 4 string version aswell

its bolt on with active pickups. and i was suprised when i removed the backplate to see a proper printed one piece ciruit board... very proper.

ill try get some pictures up soon for everyone to admire.

5. The neck is a bolt on and the pickups do read "Tobias". From off the top of my head I believe it has a 4 knob control layout. Good or Bad bass? :meh:
  6. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    if you like it, then it's a good bass.
    if you were just stoked about the Name, then not so great bass.

probably not a bad bass for the price,
    but then again, not exactly a bargain to write home about.
  7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I just looked at the site, and I guess they don't sell Tobias basses anymore. I haven't looked in a long time. I think it's the Toby Deluxe 5, the Toby Pro was neck-thru.

I think $300-400 is about what the bolt-on fives sold for new - somewhere in that range. I think they got pretty good reviews, some people swapped out the preamps I believe (like is done with a lot of other basses, too)

There are some reviews here
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Your Caps Lock key? ;)