1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guess what i found...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 21, 2001.

1. i found some guy selling an L-2000 for HALF its retail price.

I'm the same guy that went crazy over the USA Fender Jazz bass. So what do you guys think (Nino), should i go for the $600 used G&L L-2000, or the brand new USA Fender Jazz Bass which goes from $850-$909???....lol

hey Nino tell me more about the L-2000...

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I like the L-2000 more than Fender Jazz's. And at that price it's a good deal.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All I can do is give you my opinion.

<font size=5 color=red><b>IF YOU PASS THIS DEAL, YOU'LL KICK YOURSELF IN THE REAR EVERYTIME YOU GO INTO A MUSIC STORE & SEE ONE NEW FOR OVER $1000!!!!!!!!!</B></FONT>[​IMG]

$600 is a GREAT price for an L-2000. I played mine against a DLX Jazz & I liked the G&L MUCH BETTER. It seems like the guy played an American Series Jazz which is passive. Maybe he just likes the idea of a passive bass. I'd jump all over that L-2000!!!!!! If I really needed another bass (like I need a hole in the head[​IMG]) it'll be an L-2500. I miss mine & am GASsing for a new one. But I don't want my wife to throw me out!!! LOL.

4. yeah i knew you'd say something like that.

i hear from ppl that i can get a Stingray and Fender Jazz Bass tone out of the G&L L-2000, is this true, Nino?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can get similiar tones to all Fender made basses. You can get P's, J's, MM's & best of all ASAT bass sounds. ;) It won't duplicate the sounds of these basses exactly, but it does a good job @ comming close.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, ditto on the above. It does a great job of approximating J/P tones. The tone circuit easily switches between some very familiar sounds, reminiscent of Leo's work up to his G&L days.

Along with these unmistakable influences, you'll also get a little bit of G&L (sound bias?) in the mix. It makes for an interesting combination, but on the whole, very staisfying. You'll not hear anything bad from me on these basses, I guess I just like G&L's.

How old is the bass? 6 bolt? What finish?