Guess what kind of wood

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Here's my project bass. Any thoughts on what type of wood this is? I was told it's an older Fender Jazz, but I reshaped and repaired the body. I'd like to know what the wood is before painting.
  2. That's pretty tough with the distance from the camera. The center section leads me to believe it to be alder (correct for Fender - more on that later) but the upper wing doesn't look like alder at all to me. Some closeups would be helpful.

Your body wasn't likely an old Fender Jazz. Though there are several clues pointing to a jazz style bass (control cavity, tone plate screw holes, and shadows from jazz pups), the one telltale that it isn't a Fender is that the lower horn is longer than the neck pocket extension. On a real Fender, this would have been impossible to accomplish since the original lower horn is actually shorter than the pocket. Sorry :(
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hammy's right, that was never a Fender Jazz. Besides the lower horn, those pickup routes are not Fender J routes. The pickups must have had some kind of mounting ring around them.
  4. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Ok, thanks for the response! So, it's not a Fender and the middle wood could be Alder.

I think this body is made of 3 different woods! The middle section seems "closed-grain" and the outer sections are more porous. The woodgrain of the short horn has distinctive alternating light / dark stripes. Whereas, the wood of the longhorn doesn't have the "stripes". I was told the wood looks like Oak, but I've never heard of Oak for a guitar.

Anyways, this is an interesting body to look at. I rubbed in a bit of wood filler to prevent the paint from soaking in. Also, EMG-35DCs are ready to go, and a Warmoth neck is on it's way.
  5. Bass, I've taken a look at the enlarged pic - I finally figured out what that icon means:rolleyes: - and this thing is a mess!

Most guitar blanks that are made from multiple pieces are cut with the glue seams aligning parallel with the centerline of the body. Your's is wildly skewed. That is very unusual for a factory job and just plain weird if it was done by a homebuilder.

The enlarged view may also confirm the idea that it is oak used for the wings. If the original builder didn't think badly of the mis-aligned blank pieces, then using 2 or even 3 different woods would probably fit right in with his "vision" :rolleyes: