Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guess where I'm posting this from

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    So I'm at San Jose airport waiting for my flight to dallas fort worth so I can connect to my flight to Dulles, and I see these signs that say "wireless internet access here". Costs $7 a day, but it's worth it since I can surf talkbass while I wait to board. Isn't technology wonderful?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah....that is cool...some of the coffee shops here do that now. The one I go to lets you have free re-fills of coffee while you surf. They have a DSL connection, and it is free also. I like technology.

On a side note, I am shopping for a new PDA right now, and it must be wireless capable.

-Mike

3. When I went on a cruise a couple summers ago the ship we were on had that, its pretty cool.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, well I just arrived in boston after a very stressful flight, and it is a wonderful thing to just sit down in a nice comfy couch, and lazily open my computer up and already be on the net.

thanks 802.11(g,b) you're swell!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was in Starbucks drinking a double shot of expresso when the Starbucks guy asked me if I wanted to sign up for their wifi access provided by T-mobile. I have network stumbler installed, so I was able to see that one of the apts. above had an unsecured network, as well as the CVS pharmacy across the st. I politely declined and surfed for free. Thanks random person who lives above Starbucks!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Blisshead...I am just learning about wireless access on my laptop. How did you scan for that network, and find it? Is network stumbler a program you installed? I can click on an icon for my wireless, and it has a refresh button, I guess that scans for available networks? Or just the one I have set-up in my house?

-Mike

7. yeah, the college i am going to next year just installed a wireless cloud throughout their campus. i cant wait :)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My guess was gonna be the Chicken Ranch.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Network stumbler is a free program, it goes into a lot of depth about what networks are there, to help you surf freely. :D

http://www.foxpop.co.uk/wifi/wifi_04.htm

http://www.netstumbler.com/

edit: the other side of the coin

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    excellent links Blisshead....many thanks.....i bookmarked them, and will check them out while listening to Animal Logic, and sipping my latte at the coffee shop tomorrow....oh yeah, got more research to do on a PDA.

-Mike

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    palm makes one with wifi I think. AFAIK, you can by wifi cards for many of the "pocket pc" types as well.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    the new Axim from Dell, the X3I has wifi built-in to the PDA.....but yes, most others allow you to add a wifi card.....i think i am going to go with the Axim x3i

-Mike

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Now let's not being doing any drive wars, Blisshead. :D

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Cancel your flight, catch CalTrains up to SF, and we'll get a beer.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was actually in SF all day Friday and Saturday night. I was visiting my brother in Sunnyvale and he showed me around the city. San Fran is a very nice city I must say. If I'm ever there again I'll shoot you an email and we can hang out.