Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess who got a gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Danksalot, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I decided to make the move down to Branson MO a few months ago, and the first audition I went to was for the Shoji Tabuchi Show. Wouldn't you know it, they had to have me. :eek: I'm playing about 13 shows per week right now, but that will pick up a little in the Christmas season. :bassist:

If any of you guys are going to be in the Branson area, let me know you're coming. I know that there's at least one other Talkbass guy down here. (Hi Kevin!) :cool:

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    13 a week?!?! I couldn't even do 13 in 2 months.

3. Not even 13 a year...

despite al the practising

4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Shoji Tabuchi? Isn't that the guy that starred in all of those ninja movies back in the 80s? :D

j/k, nice score!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--My parents saw Shoji in Branson a couple of years ago, and thought he put on a great show. Congrats! :bassist:

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Congratulations. Ain't nuthin' like a good house gig.
    I've toyed with the idea of taking a run at Branson work more than once. Especialy since I seem to keep getting creamed by hurricanes.

I'd be interested to hear a blow by blow of the audition....

7. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Here's how the audition went

9:45 am:
    I showed up with my 5-string and EUB. There were several drummers, and lots of dancers and singers, but I was the only bass player. That didn't mean much at the time, because Shoji holds auditions three times a year wether he needs players or not. They've been doing shows, so they must have had a bass player at the time.

10:00 am
    The doors opened and I started filling out the five-page application. There were singers and dancers auditioning at this time, but I just waited.

1:30 pm
    The HR person called me over for a pre-interview in which she told me some of the company rules, gave me the show schedule, and asked if I had anything planned that would prevent me from being at any of the performances. She then told me that the band leader would be there around 4:00 pm to audition band members.

3:45 pm
    I was back at the theater.

4:30 pm
    A keyboard player, a drummer, and I were told to go over to the rehearsal space a couple miles down the road to audition. We got there, set up, and we had a book full of music from the Christmas show on our stands. The first song was med-slow, so I went for the EUB (an NS 4-string). They played a CD of the song, and then they played it againg and we played along. We did this with several songs, but they didn't play all of them first, some were sight read. Most of the music was written out in standard notation, but one tune, which was a little jazzy had a chord chart. I ended up playing the EUB for the whole thing, even some up tempo numbers.

5:00 pm
    We returned to the theater and waited for another interview.

8:00 pm
    I had my interview with the HR people, which was video taped.

8:30 pm
    I was on my way home.

I spent about 11 hours at the audition, and played for about 20 minutes. Keeping a cheery attitude during all of this may have been part of the audition. I know that it would be if I were running a show. All in all it was a good experience. A week later I got the call that they wanted me to start asap. It turns out that the guy who was playing bass (very compitent on electric and upright) was actually one of the guitarists. He was just filling in. I am very impressed with all of the musicians that I am working with.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks! Thats quite a day.

Not to get too into your personal business but...

"Shoji holds auditions three times a year wether he needs players or not."

Does that mean you have a 4 month contract or does that mean every four months you get challenged for you chair like high school band?

9. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    I think the way lots of these shows work is that you are hired for the season (Shoji's goes through Dec. 15th) and then you are asked back for next year, or you're not. I think as long as you're playing your part well with a good attitude, you don't have anything to worry about.

Lots of times people quit halfway through the season and they have spots to fill. Shoji also needs more people for the Christmas show, so the auditions get people in so they can fill out the cast for the bigger parts.

I don't think it's as cut-throught as it sounds, but then again, I'm still young and naive.

10. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Congrats on the gig. I have a question though. I have family in Branson that has been begging my wife and I to move down there. I would love to make the move and play but here is the question. How did you find out about the audition? Are they advertised locally or do you have to know someone. I'm getting to the point where I know people through people down there but should probably make the trip down. Thanks for any response.

11. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    It was advertized in the newspapers. There were dancers here from Kansas City because it was even in the KC Star paper. I actually didn't hear about it until the day before, but it had been up on the marquis at the theater. I've heard people say that you can find them by searching for "branson auditions" on the net, but I could never find any that way. Most of the auditions here in town are around the first of the year.

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk