Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess who I met the other day...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, May 27, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ...VICTOR WOOTEN!!!

He was amazing, I saw him at the Blues Alley in Georgetown with the Mike Stern Jazz Band (I think that's the name). He had a long classic thumb style solo near the end. He's still just as good of a bassist and nice of a guy as he ever was. For those of you who live around DC, he'll be coming back in October with Bela Fleck. I don't know why I am posting this, but if anyone else has any Victor Wooten experiences than you can submit a reply.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I met him after a flecktones show in Ft.Worth. He is way nicer than your typical celeb. I told him that after hearing him play I felt like giving up on bass. He laughed and told me to keep practicing. And that not everybody should play like him anyway.

That show was hard on my ego, though. Victor and Bela switched instruments and played a solo on each others axes. Victor was amazing as always. Bela didn't have any left hand technique. He just held down a chord shape and moved it up and down the neck. But his right hand was AMAZING. My keyboard player was at the show with me and took great amusement in telling me that the banjo player was as good on bass as me.

3. I was there for the late show Saturday night. Great show! I love Stern and to see him with Chambers and Wooten was mind blowing. Very nice guys, more than happy to talk to everyone after the show.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    uh, ok, I was there too.... freaky........

Re: Wooten-- the man's simply a mofo.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I met victor in 1996, he came down for a showcase
    for ampeg, at a yearly show that thoroughbred music used to put on. he was really nice, easy to talk to. It was victor wooten and steve bailey
    jamming together, then otiel burbridge that was there for Modulus came up and played drums while
    victor and steve jammed, then otiel and victor
    swapped places and victor played drums, while
    otiel jammed with steve bailey and did some scat.
    I got to meet all three and get there autographs.
    They were great.:)

6. Damn, I knew I should have worn my Talkbass T-shirt!

7. I live in Baltimore...and my B-Day is in Oct.

I'd love to see him...I only got 2 songs from him,and they're just amazing.

his tone is nice as hell!

:)

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Went to see him today with Capt. Scarlet and another bassist and some drummers, he was playing with Mike Stern and Dennis Chambers and some saxophone guy... Personally I felt it was better when he played with Stern and Weckl in the Iridium here in NYC a few months back... He also did this cool solo thing towards the end it was pretty sweet but a bit too long for me...

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Oh yah and he didn't walk around this time like last time so I couldn't talk to him, but then again I believe the Bottom Line was like a fire hazard I wouldn't walk around there if I was him :p

10. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I met him last December at the Catalina's cafe here in Hollywood California, he was playing with Mike Stern, awesome show, he played right in front of me, he's truly amazing.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah I've seen vic 4 times.

twice with mike stern band(once at the catalina bar and grill...Jared was there as well)

once with the flecktones(at UCLA)

and once with the live in america band(at the knitting factory)

I met him after every show(except the live in america one....sad story about that one)

He's signed my ZERO hat 3 times, and I have talke to him a bit after the shows, he is a super nice guy.

Mike stern is perma-drunk :p...at least the post-show experiences I've had with him have been

12. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    was it SIR SANTOS SAN-SONY SOLO RED SENIOR ?