1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guess who I ran into at Sam Ash 2 days ago?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gleventhal, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    Buying a bass case, was Stanley Clarke! Man looks great for 60 something! You know who was helping me while I was trying out Basses there (that I can't afford: Lakland and Sadowsky J basses) Larry Hartke! He works at the times Square Sam Ash. This is why I love living in NY!

I shook stan's hand and told him School Days got me started playing bass (Primus/rhcp is more true, but School days was there also).. He seems like a cool dude.

2. Waster

Waster

Nov 24, 2011
    Belfast
    That's cool! I live in Northern Ireland, so I never get to met anyone famous :/ Although the music shop I use is the one that Gary Moore would frequent while he was alive. Never met him though.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Yeah, every time I'm there I usually end up talking to Larry for a little bit. Cool dude, that one.

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Larry Hartke really works at Sam Ash?
    In what capacity? I have a hard time picturing this!

5. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah, he works there. He was telling me how the amp that he made special for Jaco is there in the front window of that store, and when Jaco died, he cut the leads and it was never played through again. It had been in Larry's garage for years, and Larry figured it belonged where people could see it. I walk past it every day as I work on 48th and 6th ave, right down the block. Larry said his favorite thing to do is sell a first bass to kid and see their excitement. He is just a straight up salesmen there. I know he must not need the money, because he was telling me just that day, that he makes money on every Hartke sold, and that Hartke is the number one sold bass amp by far. Everytime I go there to play basses, he forgets me, reintroduces himself, tells me I sound good, asks who I play for, and gives me his card. It's probably for the best because I rarely actually buy anything!

6. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    He's not like a sales associate, he's in the 48th Street Hartke Bass Lounge. More like for marketing/PR/customer support. It's good to have an approachable company founder.

7. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

That's great! When I was a young teenager many moons ago, Stanley was trying out a bass in one of the music stores on 48th
    Street and I was too intimidated to say hello. Too bad for me. He seems like a regular guy in concert. I bought my Alembic Spoiler largely because of him.