Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess who just got back from watching the Funk, Brothers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Wow, what a show!

My wifey bought us tickets as a Christmas gift. They shared the headline with Darius Rucker & Joan Osborne. They were very energetic, and just rocked the house. Darius was especially good at entertaining with the audience.

The Funk Brothers really connected with the audience, returning smiles, waving or at least winking while playing... And man oh man, they were so on. What a great groove.

Some of the tunes included:

Heat Wave
    You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me
    Reach Out I’ll Be There
    Ain’t Too Proud To Beg
    Shotgun
    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Cloud Nine
    What’s Going On
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough

Also, I got to shake hands with Joe Hunter, and My wife and I got to sing in Aint No Mountain High Enough.

By the way, it looked like Babbit was playing through an acoustic head with a Hartke 115 cab.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    SWEET!!! I have to check to see if they are coming out my way! I have tix to go see the Four Tops in Feb. :D

3. What an awesome show!!! I got winked at twice. ;) I'd go again if they came back this way!

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    watching SitSoM i can *almost* imagine the live experience!

sounds like a lot of fun :cool:

5. That's great, Gabu! :)

I've never seen them live, but I watched Standing in the Shadows of Motown over the weekend. I haven't watched it in about three months, but the energy that they produce in two dimentions! :hyper:

They must be 50 times better live.

I think I'll check to see when they'll be in the NYC area.

Glad you and the Mrs. had a good time.

Mike :cool:

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    They played last month in Seattle and they really rocked the place. One of the best concerts that I've attended in the past 40 years..

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    <<yaaawn>>

Yeah.

Been there done that, had them sign my SITSOM DVD.

But seriously, it was awesome wasn't it?

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Guess who just noticed they are coming to Helsinki next month! :eek:

Around three minutes from a notice at a web board I had found a ticket service, registered as their user and ordered the tickets and paid 'em :D

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok so I'm bumping this up a bit, for guess who just returned from their Funk Brothers gig! :cool:

I must say that Bob was laying it down with professional attitude, just sitting there nodding his head in focused state. I did expect bit more than couple of brief smiles from him, but I guess that's his style, or he was just bit tired.

On the other hand, it was a pleasure to watch guitarist Joe Messina play with a big grin on his face for the whole second half of the gig, he seemed really to be enjoying himself.

The singers displayed good showmanship, swapping between lead and backup at every song, but I got bit of a feeling that rest of the band didn't know what to make of the gig, as if it was just another Best of Motown gig and not the one celebrating their part in the story.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, when I saw them, Bob was grooving like crazy. Great player, but at times he was 'working' rather than 'playing'.

Yes again, this man smiled the whole show. He was a blast because he looked like he was having a great time.

The singers let me and Debbie sing chorus lines twice. That was really fun. Joan Osborne was cool, but she didn't really connect with the audience, I felt. I had the impression that she always looked a little passed the people, perhaps revealing her to be somewhat an introvert. Joe Hunter came by and shook Deb and my hands.

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The Funk Brothers played two gigs here in the UK last month. I wish I could have made it to one - their guest singers wereSteve Winwood and Isaac Hayes. I would have loved to see that!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Is that a 'bad' thing?
    I like it when people tell me, "...man, you were working it tonight".
    ;)

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ahhh! I didn't even know they were touring! Did they do any Canadian stops? Are they doing any Canadian stops?