Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guess who wrecked his car this morning?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, May 13, 2004.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One minute I'm driving at the legal limit, I looked down to check my speedo and when I looked up, the car in front of me was on the brakes hard with non-functioning brake lights. I couldn't stop in time. The impact pushed the car other car forward and knocked a poor bloke off his motorbike. A split second later, another car hit me from behind. All up, three cars and a motorbike damaged, and accoring to the police, I was the at-fault driver :(

Thankfully, no-one was hurt. Being a motorcyclist myself, I was primarily concerned with his well-being , but he assures me he's ok.

According the the tow truck driver, my car is likely to be written-off. It's kinda old and is damaged at both ends, so I tend to agree with him. Looks like I'll be bowwowing/hiring cars until the insurance chq arrives.... oh Joy!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some insurance paperwork to organise and some phone calls to make..............

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I assume that wasnt you in the Harbour Tunnel this morning where someone was killed?

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Oh, man. That sucks so hard.

Glad you're OK. :(

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

I guess that is why we have insurance!

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No, but they'd just anounced that on the radio a split second before my accident. My G/F was on a bus trying to get into the city and got caught up in the aftermath of that one.......

It was on Mona Vale Rd at St Ives heading west. I had all my gear in the car for tonight's gig. Picture me standing on the back of a table-top tow truck, unloading my equipment into a friend's car. It was no fun. I still haven't worked out how I'm going to get to this weekends gigs. I might have to hire a car if I can't borrow one............

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I got caught up in that one on the way back to my apartment from the Gym - I live in Cremorne Point and all the traffic was diverting from Military Rd though Cremorne to get onto the Bridge. I almost missed my ferry to work it was so busy!

HIring a car might be a good option, then you are not dependent on others for transport. Does your insurance company offer you free / cheap hire cars?

7. Wow, that's too bad. I'm sorry that that had to happen and mess up your day.

Why did they hold you accountable for the guy who hit you from behind though? That doesn't seem fair. Also, it seems problematic that the guy in front of you's brake lights were out. That shouldn't have been.

8. :mad: Crap!! Hate it when that happens.

Glad everyone is ok Pete.

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yeah. I was going to ask that as well. Does the fact that the guy in front's brake-lights weren't working make any difference?

Mark? I know it's not your area of expertise ;)

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC if you hit a stationary object then you are always at fault. On a strict legal liability, the guy may have some "contributory negligence", however the law relating to liability for motor accidents in Australia is fairly heavily modified by statute so I really don't know.

As Pete is insured it is really not his issue as the insurer has to decide whether to defend or settle the claim - its not up to Pete to decide to fight it.

As for the guy who ran into the back of Pete, Im pretty sure that Pete would not be liable for that damage unless there is some modified rule that if you cause and accident, all damage flowing from the accident is attributable to you (I would have thought a subsequent person hitting the accident would be a break in the chain of causation, but it may not be).

11. I feel ya Brotha, I got in an accident today too. I was going down the road while it was raining and I must have spaced out because before I knew it I was going about 45 towards the stopped cars at the red light. I hit my brakes but I must have hydroplaned because my car wouldn't slow down fast enough and I bumped into the lady in front of me. There was no damage to her car, but my bumper is smashed in and some other cosmetic stuff. Atleast noone got hurt and only my car was damaged. I got a ticket for careless driving, even after I told the cop the situation. Oh well, it was my fault after all...

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Fair enough.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine who was riding his motorcycle along a narrow street in Port Melbourne. A car pulled out of a driveway directly in front of him. My friend hit the brakes, tried to avoid the car and dropped his bike. He was told that the car driver had no liabilty because they hadn't physically made contact. :rolleyes:

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I did the same thing in 1967. But I hit a Rover, flew over the guys
    hood and landed on a grass median. A garbage truck came by and rescued me. At that point the damage was done. I subsequently
    took up the bass.

Now you understand ... :smug:

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Had the guy got witnesses and sued the driver in negligence (assuming you still can - I can't even remember anymore) - he could have convinced a judge / jury that the person had been at fault.

Its silly to say there is no liability - thats like saying that if you run out in the middle of the road, I swerve to avoid you and hit another car, that you have no responsibility. Whoever told your friend that was wrong - but without witnesses it would be awfully hard to prove.

I know of a true story of a car hitting a power pole on a bridge and eight hours later (after the accident had been cleared) the pole fell off the bridge onto another car and the damage to the other car was held to have flowed from the original accident (ie no break in causation). (I always thought it was pretty amusing, but unfortuneately the occupant of the car who the pole fell on was seriously injured).

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I agree. Very silly. It was early in the morning and there wasn't anybody else around as I recall.

The damage to his bike was (luckily) minimal so I suspect it became a case of 'not worth the hassle'

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When I told the police the brake lights weren't working, he gave me a "that's what they all say" stare. And given that I smashed em up pretty good, I realise it's going to be impossible to prove. It's too easy to say "they were working before you hit me".

As for the liability - I pay my insurance excess then forget about it. I'm not bothered about who pays for what, that's what I pay reduculously exensive comprehensive insurance for. My question of fault is based purely on the "Police Infringement" side of things. Looks like I'm going to get a negligent driving charge $187 and 3 points, though if I'm lucky I may get away with "traveling too close to the car in front" and get the lesser fine and 2 points. Either way I'm getting booked :(

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok I give up...who?

brad cook

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

Thanks Brad. That's the first smile I've cracked all day!

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's times like these you remember just how wonderful your friends are. Nope my insurance poilcy doesn't offer hire-car relief after an accident, only after a theft. But I haven't even come close to needing to hire a car. So far I've had my flatmate and my girlfriend fussing over me to make sure I can get to my gigs fo the next few weeks. Plus, the band I'm doing a bulk of my gigs with this month have a truck, and they're happy for me to leave a set of equipment with them. Luckily I've got enough equipment lying around to make up 2 complete sets of equipment, so I can pretty much turn up for those gigs on my motorbike. Bewdiful!

I've decided that if my car's written off, I'm going to get a Holden Combo.

http://www.media.holden.com.au/division/holden/products/light_commercial/combo.html

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Pete, that is quite possibly the ugliest automobile I have ever had the misfortune to lay eyes upon.

*Gives "Mike Money Stamp of Approval"*