Guess who's just got a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 5, 2002.

1. Me

I went for a Yamaha RBX 270 Fretless.

I love it. I'm not saying I'm all that good on it, mind you. But there's time to improve.

First impressions on playing is that the trasnsition from fretted is not as daunting as I'd imagined. And the guys in the band say it sounds really good. I agree. It's really got some punch.

OK, it's only an entry level fretless but it's really well built and I'm thoroughly delighted with it.

So thanks to y'all who gave me advice.

:D :D

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Congratulations on the new toy! Fretless can really open up some new horizons, but it's definately good to start with something modest. (I suck at fretless myself, but it's always cool to have one around anyway...:))

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Getting something you're "thoroughly delighted with" can only be a good thing. Congrats.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats on the new bass. welcome to the wacky, wonderful world of fretless.
  5. Congrats on the new bass and good luck with it.

By the way where is the pic. John we need to start enforcing the new pic law.:D
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    mmmmmm Yamaha.
    I love them
    Congrats on the new baby, and im sure it will be the gateway to make "unique" discoveries.
  8. Thanks for the thoughts, folks: (feel kinda cool Mr Turner's popped on to wish me good luck:cool: :cool: )

Uforia, the reason I didn't picture was that I really didn't think it was worth it. The '270F is only an entry level bass......nothing extra special.

Yes, Notduane, that's it. But the green one. Don't really like the green too much, but with one black bass already, didn't want two.

(For all you Yammy fretless fans, the word on the grapevine is that Yamaha are to unveil a new fretless / range of fretlesses fairly soon).

Yep. I'm really blown away by the fretless. Never thought I'd be able to really play it at all but I can to some degree.

A quick question for all you fretless experts. One obvious deficiency of my left hand is the gap between second and ring fingers. I have to shufle up or down the 'board to make the note because the ring finger won't move independent of the second. Clues for exercises to help correct this would be appreciated.

9. John - congrats on your new bass. I myself just joined the world of Fretless basses - I picked up a MIM Jazz bass Fretless in sunburst.

I've found the transition OK - but I'm using the lines big time just now. Hopefully before long I'll be playing it by ear. Fretless is so cool - and it's my first Jazz bass too!!
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well done, John!
    A good bass and no frets!
    welcome on-board:cool:
  11. Way to go, RJ! You'll learn to live without 'dem lil bumpy thingies on the neck!

12. Funny thing was, Jeff, that I tried the fretted again part way through rehersal. I hated it:eek: :eek:

Even at this very early stage I found the frets really cumbersome. I'm purtting as much time as I can into the 'less and I'm sure the required technique will come.

My personal practice is acoustically, only, so I'm using the lines a great deal, too.

I'm really pleased I stuck out for a Yammy. They're really nice basses if mine's anything to go by. Well made, well finished, etc.

13. I bought a Yamaha RBX270F today, in black for £179.
    my first electric fretless (I defretted my Hohner ABG back in 1994).

re. other entry level lined fretlesses there's the Dean Edge, MTD Kingston, but these are all more expensive- and pretty difficult to find in the UK.
    I didn't want a Fender MIM jazz as the neck is a bit too narrow for my liking, and 21 frets have become a minimum for me.
    also I wanted a more compact bass.

I'm very pleased about it- medium width at the nut (40mm), PJ p/ups with panpot, so the fretless P bass sounds of David J and Derek Forbes are there as well as more conventional fretless J sounds.

both p/ups on full is a bit too hollow, but sweet spot settings are only a small turn of the pot away.

only drawback is the Fender MIM J -style deadspots on the G string at C# and D - the price you pay for a slim neck without graphite reinforcement, I suppose.

the fingerboard is starting to get marked (already- I'm steadily working through my collection of fretless songs:) ) so I'll be putting an old boiled set of Rotosound RS55 pressurewounds on the replace the stock rounds.

I might swap the lightweight Fender style bridge for a Gotoh 201 to add some depth and sustain.
  14. Nice score, I've been interested in one of them, I got a RBX 370 and I love it to bits, I'd deffo consider gettin a fretless Yamaha.
  15. a couple of clips-
    with the old Roto pressurewounds on (they seem to make an improvement)

first with the panpot slightly favouring the neck P p/up;
  16. and now slightly favouring the bridge J p/up
    (the P pickup is in exact P bass position, but the J is closer to the bridge than a J bass bridge p/up);