1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guess who's touring as the bass player with korn...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Apr 11, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Kind of bring up the question "how bad do you have to be at your job to be replaced by 12 year old?"

In all honesty, the kid only got the job because of who his father happens to be.

3. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    It's not Victor Wooten?

4. mbell75

mbell75 Supporting Member

May 23, 2016
    I was hoping it would be Geddy! He needs some new gigs these days!

5. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    He tried out but the guys in Korn didn't like all the crazy sounds he made with his bass.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How old was Wolfgang when he got Mike Anthony's job?

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    About 14 years old.

8. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Holy hell.

Korn's still around??

--^@

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    since fieldy was one of my favorite bass players, i think my question would be "why do they think a 12 year old won't look silly on stage with korn, regardless of who his father is?"

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Hard to look more silly than Korn in 2017. I mean, why not have a kid with them?

11. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Actually having a 12 year old in a band twice his age generates a ton of free press and is a great way to sell tickets.

Just type "Korn" into Google and see for yourself.

12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    A decent young player eh? Wonder how long before someone labels his playing "derivative" and talks about a guy they saw in a club who can't get gigs.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Tbone76, JMacBass65, yash427 and 29 others like this.
  14. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Yep, my first thought also :D

15. 2GBTG

2GBTG

Dec 3, 2014
    Pittsburgh Pa
    From what I understand it's just those six shows in South America. Fieldy is still playing the rest of the show on the tour.

Element Zero and pcake like this.
  16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    true, but as a long time korn fan, it's not working for me. and i wouldn't think their music is going to really appeal to the tween/younger teen groups.

17. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I think it is cool as long as the kid can hack it. What a great opportunity for that kid, and to break the agism barrier is huge too. Their basslines aren't tremendously challenging technically, but a huge part of Korn's sound is Fieldy's sound. So they are kinda big shoes to fill relatively speaking. But man, if that kid is not wearing earplugs I'm going to have to have a talk with his dad...

18. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    There are videos that describe Taylor Swift as the new Eddie Van Halen because she has gotten young kids interested into playing guitar like EVH did in the 80's.

Using that logic, I think any young kid is going to see (or at least hear about) a 12 year old kid playing with an established international act and want to be that just like that.

Besides, how many kids wanted to play guitar after seeing this video?

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    While the kid may have some talent, Fieldy's bass tone can be acquired by simply lowering the action enough to sound like crap on every song.

20. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    well, might have got the gig due to his father....but make no mistake. That 12 year old can play.