1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guest Guitarist @ Sunday's Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not necessarily a great guitarist but he was a good sport about it. Recognize this guy?

RudyonGuitar.

Riis

2. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Rudy?

3. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    wasnt he on survivor? lol

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA

Yep, that's Rudy Boesch from "Survivor". Never watched the program but I do read a newspaper every now and then.

Riis

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It's weird that the world knows him as a former contestant on Survivor.

He's a living piece of history. He was one of the original Navy SEALs, as in the first platoon ever, back in the very beginning when President Kennedy said "We need some kind of naval commandos." and Roy Boehm said "Yes, Mr President I'll get right on it."

And he stayed in as a SEAL, until 1990. He went in during WWII and stayed until 1990. Just think about that. 45 years in uniform.

He made Master Chief in '67. He was for several years the seniormost enlisted special warfare service in all the branches combined.

How in any sane world is a guy who did all that mainly remembered as a game show contestant?

6. wow, I never knew that. Cool, thanks

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lowest common denominator. The show certainly put him in the spotlight. The Tidewater Virginia area (heavy military presence) is very aware of his contributions on all levels.

You gotta admit, you have to have one helluva sense of humor to strap on a pink paisley Telecaster.

Okay, here's another tidbit that merits investigation: I had the pleasure of meeting Carlos Hathcock (Virginia Beach resident) in the twilight of his life. Look him up.

Riis

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I know who Gunny Hathcock was. He also was an important historical figure who only seemed appreciated among guys who were also military.

And as far as the pink Tele? I'd take one. I got nothing to prove to anyone in the manly department.

With some of the jobs I've done you pretty much earn a gold-embossed lifetime pass man card. Of course now that I'm old and fat and slow I'm glad I don't have to do them anymore.