1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gui**** Head and Bass Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock-Bassman, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    I never quite got this concept. My view is that it's the gui**** CAB that a bass will break. So it's okay to use a bass cab and a gui**** head right? just need a confirmation that it can be used as a presence amp, or even a straight studio amp. Figured it would cut through REALLY well!:)

2. Yep, guitar amp + bass cab generally = all good

3. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    okay thank you. while I'm at it, will a guitar head pick up a bass's low E fine?

4. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    It really depends on the head... make sure it has enough power to handle the lower frequencies! My main rig is an Ampeg V4 through a newer Ampeg bass cab, and it works wonders.

5. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    what do you mean by power? I was gonna pick up the peavey windsor (ya ya it's a peavy but it's the cheapest 100 watt all tube guitar head.) so is 100 watts enough?

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Why would you do this? Guitar amps are not designed to be efficient at the same low freqs.

7. anything over 100watts should be fine, can't say it'll sound great though

8. I would get a separate EQ, as guitar head EQ's are not very suited to basses.

9. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    hehe sorry forgot to say there was gonna be a BASS head and BASS cab involved, the guitar head and bass cab is just for high mids and highs and overdrive, just to add "rasp" if you will.

10. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    so This SOUNDS expensive, but in reality it's as much as a 300 tube bassman and a mesa 8x10.
    Peavey Windsor ( 100 watt tube guitar head) into a Peavey Tour 2x10 (Bass Cab, and i like to match brands, its one of those things.)
    Gk 1001rb into gk neo 410 and neo 210 on top. then into an ABY Box and into my bass. All for a total of... a really high number!!! YAAAYYY!! :p Like $3000 for all of that.

11. To me it sounds like a good way to waste money. 3000 dollars will buy a better rig than what your gonna get.

12. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Ha :p just daydreamin. curious to see if I COULD do that if I really wanted to (not to mention if I had the money.) and when I said I was gonna pick up a windsor I'm a guitar player anyway (ya I insult myself sometimes, who doesn't :) ) I was gonna pick it either way.

13. Gotcha...Check out the Ampeg v4 like someone mentioned earlier. You can use it for guitar or bass, and both sound equally good. Plus you could do what you had "daydreamed" and probably end up closer to what you wanted anyways. Ampeg v4's have a nice grit to their sound for both applications, plus plenty of volume for a guitar application. Ebay my friend.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why do some of you think a guitar amp wouldn't be great for this application? I've often mixed a guitar head and cab into my sound for in the studio and it sounds great. Can't crank it and put a lot of bass on it, but in a studio you don't need to. To say that it wouldn't work...well there are a lot of bassists out there who do it, including me, and it does indeed work.

15. if you've got the money and the ambition, guitar amps can make a really good mid/high/overdrive channel.
    i would love to be able to afford the setup she's got. but alas, that's what GAS is for.

16. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I have to agree with this point. I get great tones recording my bass through a guitar amp. Many times better than the bass rig. In fact one of the best bass sounds I ever laid down were a Precision through a Line 6 Spider amp.

17. JCM800

JCM800

Jan 22, 2009
    Austin TX
    I've used my 100w JCM800 to run the bottom 15's of my Isovent bass cab and it actually sounds pretty damn good.

Not as good as my SVT, but it does the trick when the Ampeg is in the shop.

18. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    Yep Amy ROCKS! :bassist:

19. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    My windsor head came into today (WOW it was wiked early, supposed to be another week). Sounds great with guitar. Hooked my bass up to it (through my peavey 1820, not exactly fair to the head) and it was meh. porbably the 18 cause when i played with the 2 10's soloed sounded GREAT!!!

20. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Hehe now to really get creative (whas, delays, chorus, OH my! :) )