1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gui****s and Double-Necks

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassClef 2010, Apr 26, 2010.

1. BassClef 2010

BassClef 2010

Oct 31, 2009
    Does it ever annoy you when you see a gui**** on stage with a doubleneck, shredding on the six string but not touching the 12 string at all? Annoys the crap outta me.

2. It doesn't annoy me, though I don't quite understand where you would need a double-neck.. but, I'm no guitarist so dunno the answer for that. (BTW, Frank Gambale does some nice stuff on the double-neck!!)

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I certainly dont see enough bands with doublenecked guitars to even notice.

4. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    "Shredding" annoys me on its own, without a double-necked guitar to make things worse.

5. last double neck I saw live was never so I dunno

6. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    angelo20quad20guitar.

7. Reeneo

Reeneo

Feb 6, 2008
    Kent, UK
    michael angelo batio, ive seen/met him.. had him sign my old dean playmate, as he was a dean endorsee at the time.

8. Naw, *amuse* is much more the word. :)

9. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    It's just as much annoying as seeing a bassist with a 4 or 5 string bass, and only play on the 2 lowest strings.....

10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've got a doubleneck bass and a tripleneck, and really only use one neck on each. But it doesn't matter. They scream "LOOK!" and then they scream "AT ME!!!" That's what matters!

11. I used to have a 6/12 guitar.
    Intros and arpeggios on the 12, straight chording and solos on the 6.
    Loved that guitar, because it made it possible for the songs to sound much closer to the original recordings.

12. I'm in the planning stage of building a bass/6 string double neck. I trade off with other guitar players when I gig and when I jam. A double neck will make the trade easy. I can play bass untill the guitarist gets his bass strapped on then I just flip a switch and I'm on guitar! I can't wait!!!

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'd be much more interested in their playing and their tone than what they happen to prefer playing on.

14. I have an SG double neck 6/12 and a Steinberger Spirit 6/bass. Every now and then my gui**** buddy of 35 years - Mr. Rigg O'Mortis, for his complete absence of body motion while playing - and I jam with these items, him on the SG and me on the Spirit. I purchased this double neck off him back in 1981 for $400 with the condition that he could play it when ever he came over.

It is more amusing than annoying. This due to the fact that the SG is aptly nicknamed "Mr Heavy", being roughly equivalent to playing with a boat anchor hanging off your shoulder. Mr O'Mortis is good for about 2 or 3 songs before he has to put it down and go to his Strat or Mockingbird or Les Paul.

When I see a gui**** playing his fingers off on a double neck, I always wonder how he shaved it down to reduce the weight. I can't imagine anyone using one of these guitar as a main axe for a whole show.

I have only gigged with my doubleneck Spirit once. I found that not only did I have to bring all the neccessary bass back up gear but all the guitar back up gear as well ! The reason I bought the Spirit was to work out guitar and bass lines while practicing.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    A double-neck SG weighs about as much a few of my basses. Guitarists complain about the weight of Les Pauls too, but I've never found one that weighed any more than the typical Fender. Guitarists are melodramatic.

My 8-string bass is between 15 and 20 lbs. I have rocked that thing for numerous hour-long gigs and many practices.

16. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    A few years ago I had one of the Spirit Double neck 6/4's - Started to use it in my original prog band, double guitar leads while steppin' on the Taurus, hoping to eventually write some intros and things to make more use of it.

But I found I could play all the stuff I was already using it for on my 6 string(bass), so I sold it.

I'll say this, in regards to the original intent of this thread - for ME, it bothers me to see any band and anyone with way more gear than they make use of. I've seen (and played in) 3 pc bands that sound like 6, by guys cleverly arranging songs and making use of multiple instruments. When I see a band like that, and then see a 6 pc band, the 6 pc needs to do even more to impress me.

17. /thread- for me. :D

18. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Meh if they wanna pay for it let them do whatever on it. I've watched several bands with double-necks and other oddities only for said band to use it maybe once and then forget about it. I saw a band about a month ago that covered Coheed and Cambria's Welcome home on a double-neck as their first song. Then the guy traded off to an SG for the rest of the show so it got used literally for the intro to the first song.

19. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Sometimes a doubleneck makes perfect sense. I mean, for example this:

two-girls-one-bass-o.

With a single-neck bass that would just look silly!

20. AwesomeMcBadass

AwesomeMcBadass

Jul 15, 2009
    Double-neck guitars are awesome.