gui**** voicing his opinions on next amp purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by totallybacan, May 20, 2009.

1. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    Thanks to reviews and information posted, i bought a gk fusion 550 yesterday. Now here is the tricky part: I want a new cab that is a perfect match with this head. Ideally 8 ohms because that gives me the option to resell or upgrade. My ideal rig would be a GK NEO 412 but due to weight,size, and price, that's out. I really wanted to get 2 GK NEO 15's, but my gui**** has (unfortunately) convinced me that 10's are the way to go. 15's would give the nice, warm, unforced sound of the lower register, but they lose their rock brightness when compared to 10's.

Not only am i confused as to what i should tell him, i'm confused as to what amp to get. He's a nice guy that once i buy something, he won't give me crap for it. I really wanted a gk neo cab because of the price, weight, and full bi-amp functionality. my head has the feature, why waste it? he's telling me that a 610 or 810 ampeg is the way to go. and if not then definitely a mills 610.

What to do?!?!
  2. Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    a 15 and two or four 10's? that way you would keep the warmth of the 15 but the brighter sound of the 10's
  3. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    So if i bought a NEO 15, then later on down the road i got a neo 410? are there any problems with phasing or volume differences?
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA all depends. Is he a much more experienced musician than you are? Does he run/own the band? If so, maybe his opinion hold a little weight. As for me, I tend to agree with him. If I have to get 1 cab right now, and save up for another later, the 1 cab would be loaded with 10's. Later I could explore the wonders of the 15 (maybe add one, maybe take my head to some shops and try out different cab combinations, etc.) All that being said, unless he runs the band, and it's your only/main gig, then you do what works for you. Good luck.
  5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've owned 8"-18" cabs and the size of the speaker alone didn't make them good or bad cabs. SOme do things better than others, but in a rock band I think a 2X15" would be fine. Don't get a 4X10" just because someone told you it would be better. Personally I like 10" speakers pretty well. The SVT 8X10" is a monster cab but it's big and heavy; if that size is not a problem it's an excellent cabinet.
  6. stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Does he use 10's or 12's in his cabinet???

7. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009

He uses a Mesa Road King II with a half sealed 412. And technically it IS his band. I'm fine with it. but he is the songwriter. and i got asked to join. So at some level there is authority that i have to listen to.
  8. Everyone here has good ideas
    though... have you tried a 2x12 ??? IMHO my favorite cab configuration has good lows and highs I paired it with an 1x18 and I'm in bass heaven
  9. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    And I forgot to mention, right now I have an SWR Big Ben and SWR Workingman's 410t both at 8 ohms. So I'd use the 410 with whichever new cab I get until I buy a second one to go along with the new rig.
  10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    The 412 is a seriously awesome cabinet, but since it's a bit out of reach right now, get a Neo 212-II and then another when the time is right. You cannot beat the 212 for weight, tone and price, IMO. It's also seriously loud with the Fusion. I have my master volume set at noon and my input volume at 9 o'clock and can rock the house easily. The 12's give you the punch of 10's with more of the depth of, say, 15's. Forget about your gui****, get this cab and make him a believer!
  11. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    The 212 was one of the ones i was looking at. according to him, they sound muddy and aren't good for bass. which is bs
  12. maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
  13. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    like i said, the 212 is one of the options. I'd have to go with the 8 ohm version right (its available as 8 or 4)? 4 speakers would get alot of air moving, and i'd use the full 500w. i presume that the fusion running at 8 ohms still sounds great and full right?
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well...if you get another 4-10, you can try all the combinations of those speakers since you already own one of each...
    1-15 alone (for tone comparison)

Then you and the guitarist can decide which combination works best with your bands music.
  15. :rollno: I have had better luck with my 2x12 then any any cab I've owned as far as sound wise Its extremely clear even on my B string
  16. Why not use them? Probably sounds great.
    15's don't make more bass than 10's, by the way. Myth, nothing more. It's the whole cab design + speakers that matters.
  17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Doesn't mean he can tell you what bass gear to use. Use what you like. You'll be in more bands than this and if you let every "leader" tell you what to get you'll be buying/selling/trading gear to the end of time and never have a sound of your own. Believe me, I know.
  18. Or you can run 2 4x10's and a 1x15 and blow him away just a thought :p
  19. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    I am no electrician. but i ran my exact same rig through my friend's single 112 avatar. and the volume had to be dropped from 2 to under 11 to get the same volume. my 4 ohm full stack versus his 8 ohm single speaker. this leads me to believe that my swr stack is not working properly at all. i got it used and i feel that if i buy new speakers for it (4 10's and an 18) it'll will cost me close to a brand new cab which is probably rated higher with better frequency response while also being lighter.

Its a win-win-win...etc.
  20. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    I guess you mean 18, not 15?