1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guidance for an amateur?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpecialG, Jun 12, 2007.

1. SpecialG

SpecialG

Apr 22, 2007
    Iowa
    OK, I'll simplify this by having a short, and long version...

Short: I've been playing the bass for over a year, and I'm wondering how to learn all the music theory I possibly can, and I'm wondering what a good place to start would be to improve my skill.

Long (You've been warned): Basically, the only reason I picked up the bass, was because a friend wanted to keep me busy, and he had this vision of starting a band. Yeah, that never came to be, but anyway... I've learned to play in, what I see as, the most non-professional and un-educated way possible. When I decided to finally practice, I just did tabs. System of a Down was my favorite band at the time, so I decided to just learn some of their basslines (like 'Aerials').

It might not sound like much, but I think I've picked up a lot over the year or so I've decided to go head-first into the low-end. I kinda laugh, because I recorded myself playing (that very first time) and then, I play back tunes that I've recently made. When I think I improved, I don't mean figuring out tuning, or how low/high the strap should be, I mean like, my over-all skill.

I've opened myself up to a very VERY broad range of music, just for the sake of developing techniques. I mean, back then I was doing, sheesh, quarter notes on the E string, and getting fret buzz. And now, I'm trying slap/pop and double-tapping (hell no, I don't have Classical Thump memorized yet)

So, I guess what I'm really wondering, is how I can further my skill even yet. I played the trombone for about 6 or so years, so I have a basic understanding of music, but there's a LOT I know that has to be out there. Like what kinda scales there are, for example. I just feel like I'm starting to really take off with this, and I feel like I'm being held back because I just don't know where to go for all the information (Which is why I posted)
    I'm open to any suggestions, and I greatly appreciate any and all of them.

P.S. I got a five string not less than a month ago... and damn, although it took time, I started to like that low B.:bassist:

2. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get a teacher. Pull out your old trombone books and play the stuff on bass. Get a book like Bass Guitar for Dummies and start reading.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021