Guidance for next distortion and fuzz purchases

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm selling a bunch of stuff to buy two pedals: a distortion (not overdrive) and a fuzz.

I plan to use them with a P Bass played through an Orange OB1-500 and a Marshall VBC412. The band I'll use them with is a three-piece (kind of a hybrid between Queens of the Stone Age and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club). Before anyone suggests using the OB1's dirty channel for the distortion, I'm currently using it as my OD tone, so that's not an option.

What I'm looking for in the pedals:

FUZZ: wide range of gain and thickness. I like my fuzz to be noticed in the mix, so some control over the mids would be a plus (but not a must).

Pedals that have caught my interest:
    1) Black Arts LSTR
    2) Black Arts Destroyer
    3) IdiotBox Static Fuzz
    4) Fuzzrocious Grey Stache
    5) Sunmachine Walküre
    6) Sunmachine Reptile
    7) Death by Audio Fuzz War
    8) Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher

DISTORTION: I'm a fan of Rat-based pedals, so something along those lines (with really good low end retention) would suit me. Nonetheless, I'm not afraid of trying out other circuits.

Pedals that have caught my interest:
    1) Heavy Electronics El Oso
    2) Fuzzrocious Cat (Rat) Tail
    3) Empress Effects Distortion
    4) Way Huge Fat Sandwich
    5) MXR Bass Distortion
    6) T-Rex Bass Juice
    7) T-Rex Mudhoney

BUDGET: 360€ for both pedals.

Please, feel free to suggest pedals outside the list too!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Tourniquet Man likes this.
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i highly recommend the rat tail no diodes setting, it's brutal and if you get ryan to make you one with a clean blend and feedback loop you're all set for some noisey psych post punk stuff
    sorry, i can't recommend a fuzz, because my head just sounds like a hair dryer with them

gregmon79 and rratajski like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

If I had to stick to choosing from your list....Cat Tail and Grey Stache. Done!

4. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Thank you for the replies! Please, feel free to suggest pedals outside the list.

5. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Fuzz: Smallsound/Bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.
    Distortion: Source Audio Aftershock

monsterthompson and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Since you have the Empress on the second list, why not get an Empress Multidrive - you'll have OD, Distortion, and Fuzz all in one box, with a great EQ as well?

Otherwise, I'd suggest the ss/bs TAFM or the Cog Effects Grand Tarkin for the fuzz, and the ss/bs Mini or the Cog Effects TK-421-X for the distortion.

CraigTB and Nunovsky like this.
  7. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Violet Muffer by Tomkat for fuzz and B3K for overdrive/distortion. Nothing cuts like those two and they sound great together.

8. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Somewhere between qotsa and brmc would be where I'd wanna be.

I'd go cat tail and suf civil unrest.

gregmon79 and rratajski like this.
  9. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I thought about it, but I'm not really convinced by the fuzz side of the Empress from the demos I've heard. I'll have to check them again.

10. millahh

millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Concur on the Empress. Not only does it sound great, but the ability to apply the distortion fuzz to specific bands and blend it in parallel with OD (or clean), mean that you can get very aggressive without losing your low end punch and clarity (plus, you get three different flavors of distortion, and sweepable mids).

CraigTB and blindrabbit like this.
  11. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Thank you guys for the replies so far! I've added two more pedals to the "distortion" list: the T-Rex Bass Juice and Mudhoney.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    For a Rat you should take a look at the Fuzzrocious offerings or take a look a Abominable Electronics Don't Shred On Me Deluxe. Very similar to the Fuzzrocious but with a good blend.

brumebat and rratajski like this.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    P bass? EBS Billy Sheehan!

14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Greetings All,

Gonzo476, what about something from the rack mount world. I've used a Digitech Twin Tube preamp for distortion. For me, a little more controllable as you are controlling the tube gain, plus there are other effects available along with compression, clanging and chorus.
    The Cons, not easily tweakable during a gig. You have to have the patches loaded up pretty much the way you want as the display makes it difficult in low light situations. No longer available new.
    The Pros, Easily available on EBay and cheaper than any of the pedals mentioned in your query.
    Some are not into rack stuff, I understand.

15. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    I have both, the MXR Bass Distortion and MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. Just got the Fuzz today, and still playing with it. More compressed than the Distortion, and it definitely keeps the low end. I also like the size of the pedals, because it doesn't take up much room on the Pedalboard. Using an Ampeg SCR-DI for overdrive and Preamp, and playing through an Ampeg SVT 7 PRO and Ampeg SVT 610 HLF. I'm pretty happy with the entire setup.

16. cdwthunderfoot

cdwthunderfoot

Nov 29, 2015
    Illinois
    Seconding the cat tail/grey stache combo.

17. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Of what you've listed this would be my option. Fuzzrocious builds top quality stuff and the rat tail I use basically on every gig for mild grind to full out flutey fuzz sounds

rratajski likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I love love love my MXR Bass Distortion. It's a simplified and smaller Cat Tail (Ryan at Fuzzrocious designed it).

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Dist- rat/cat tail or blower box. If you want a dist that straight rips through the mix, DOD gunslinger. Especially at 18v. The big game bedlam drive is pretty rockin too but is an OCD varient.

Fuzz- I'd go suf civil unrest. What a muff!! Abominable hail Satan is killer too. There are a TON of great fuzz pedals out there and as far as muffs go, those the the two I've had the most luck with in the mix. They happen to sound wonderful too. Other fuzzes that are awesome and non muffs, the malekko diobolik and or bassmaster. Very unique and ripping. The diobolik can be had for around a $100 used too. And it's smaller.

rratajski likes this.
  20. loonman555

loonman555

Nov 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Fuzz: Vick's Audio Black Russian Clone. Amazing pedal, has a mids switch and I'm heard in both 3 man and 4 man (2 guitar players) no problem.
    Black Russian

Distortion: Cog Effects TK-421-X Bass Distortion. A rat variant with a clean blend and 2 low pass filters that can get really nasty, cuts through the mix well.
    Cog Effects - TK-421-X Bass Distortion

Both pages have bass demos on them so you can hear how they sound.

gregmon79 and blindrabbit like this.