Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guidance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H2ODog, Oct 6, 2003.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Hi All,
    I’m considering taking up the bass and need some guidance. I have been wanting to learn how to play the bass for a long time and was wondering if at age 47 is too late to take up such instrument. I have an old guitar that was given to me by a friend and I fooled around with it but I would prefer to play a bass. I have read everything I on this forum and others and was considering a couple of different bass models, Yamaha 270 or 370RBX and the BB604. I don’t know what the major differences are between the RBX and BB lines. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's never too late to start playing bass. If anything, the age will come with the self-discipline enough to sit down and actually practice!

Sorry, can't say too much about the Yamaha basses, haven't played one for more than a few seconds.

Good luck bassin!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It's never too late to start!!! Sometimes age and perspective can actually shorten the learning curve. Due to necessity, I recently vacated the bass chair in my band and returned to the drum throne after having made the switch FROM drums to bass full-time over a decade ago. I have been AMAZED at how well I'm playing (better than ever) and at how much my timing and ability to establish a groove/pocket has become without even picking up a drumstick in years. You may find that you have a similar advantage that a pre-teen or 20-something might not have. Sometimes age and general experience can help us see things that would otherwise not be so obvious to us in our younger years. Best of luck and have fun with it! :D ;)

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

You have one life to live. Live it the way you feel is best for you. Music has been the one constant in my 38 years along with my family. It has "saved" my life many times over, if you know what I mean!! Buy yourself a nice bass and enjoy!

Rob

5. You are the perfect age to start!

Yamaha BB Series

Yamaha RBX Series

I feel the RBX basses are less expensive and it shows in the construction. Good luck with your purchase>

;) Treena

6. I have an RBX 370. It would depend what kind of music you like. I find thah having the P/J pickup configuration is useful for different tones, while the BB has two jazz pickups.

The RBX 370 is different from the RBX 270, the differences being more frets (24 as opposed to 22 I think) and active electronics (where your bass runs off a 9V battery.)

Try them both out and see what you like. I love my RBX, it's better than most MIM Fenders I have tried. Put the Yammy through a decent amp, with nice new strings, and it can sound like a million dollars! Have fun. :)

7. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I have been reading the posts on this site and everyone seems to be very helpful. Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement, I really appreciate it. Now I need to go to some guitar shops and actually try them out. Thanks again for your advice.

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I play a 'Yam' RBX270 myself, i simply love it, sure, i wouldn't mind a nice burnt apple MM stingray, but, considering my budget i dont think i could have bought a better bass, i cant get any tone i want out of it and my laney. I know its not mainly the amp, because if tried it in other amps, and i can still get any tone with a bit of eq tweaking.

Very good bass, excellent build quality.

Ohh and nice slap tone too :)

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    waterdog, I knew a poolplayer that used that moniker. I prefer the BB series basses over the RBX. Play both through an amp and decide for yourself. Its never too late to start. Get yourself a good teacher.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Amen.

Don't worry about the gear much. You'll wantto dump it anyway when your ear becomes more critical and your abilities sharpen.

A Mexican Fender and a decent 15" like a used Peavey Pro 115 will allow you to save money in the meantime for something you really want......NO, I do not/have not owned either piece of equipment, but I have tried them.

Just don't soak all your money into something you will want to dump later. This is just gear you can always sell or trade-in.

A teacher who plays bass, and ONLY bass, is much more valuable.

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I never touched a bass until I was 34. GO FOR IT!
    :bassist:

12. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Hi Rumplethump. No I’m not the pool player you knew. It’s a name I picked up from surfing out here in Santa Cruz so I decided to keep it on the boards. Thanks for the info and I will try both lines. Thanks rickbass, good advice, I definitely will look for a teacher after I get a bass. Thanks to all who replied too.

13. Always remember: it's never to late to take up bass...

14. The BB's are better in general than the RBX series. I've owned a BB and it was very well made. A good choice in my opinion. BTW, welcome to Talkbass, and dont worry about the age thing. I'm 56, and gigging usually twice a week. I have played bass guitar since 16, but I took up double bass at 41.