1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guide Bushings for OSC spindle sanders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassy7, May 5, 2010.

1. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Has anyone found or seen guide bushings used on spindle sanders? For template use of course, much like guide bushings used on a router.

I realize can get bearing equiped sanding spindles for a drill press. I don't want to go that route. I'd prefer to use some guide bushings on my delta BOSS spindle sander. I've never seen or heard of bushings being used on one of these.

As spindle sanders typically oscillate (as does mine) the bushings would need to be oversized, and so all templates would need to undersized to compensate. That won't be a problem.

I do have some good preliminary ideas on how to make some bushings, but I wanted to see if you guys had any insight or experience in this matter.

thanks

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Because most spindle sanders oscillate, a guide bushing would be a tough fit, possibly with a half sleeve and a bushing maybe. I haven't seen one yet.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've made accessory tables that provide the functionality you're looking for; jigs and fixtures take up valuable shop space, so I usually cobble something together for the task at hand, and it goes in the dumpster when the job is done.

What kind of work were you planning to use it for?

4. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Since I brought this up a few hours ago I've come up with I beleive are some really solid "mental plans". It basically involves attaching a lower plate underneath one of the existing space filling inserts that fit around the spindles. I will then put a 1.125" hole in this plate and use the large brass router busing that I have. My 3/4" sanding sleaves will just fit inside of the brass insert. If my center cone for my router happens to fit onto the sanding shaft, then centering this thing will be a breeze.
    I will post some pics....... if its even mildly successful.

"What kind of work were you planning to use it for?"
    Nothing like having tearout on the side of a bass body, or headstock to feather back into the flow. This may prove to be a viable option to getting things (with heavy grain figuring) to final shape with limited router use and risk of tearout.

5. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Update for those interested.

I tinkered for about an hour tonight and was able to attach a brass router bushing to one of my Delta BOSS filler inserts. I connected a piece of plexi under the insert with some really small screws. I drilled a 1.25" hole in the centerof the plexi- which gave me some play to later center the bushing that only needed a 1.125"hole.
    Getting it centered around the 3/4" sanding sleeve was the hardest part. The cone used for centering the bushing on a router base was really no help- as I could only really tighten the bushing onto tjhe plexi by removing the entire insert. Then it would shift asi tightened it. It was basically trial and error to get it centered accurately.
    I will paste pics soon. Hopefully this little doodad will actually be useful. If not- well at least I already had the parts.
    Another post sloppily typed on my BB cell phone.

6. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the update. Keep us posted, and if you get a chance, post some snapshots. :)

7. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Pics....
    DSC06321.

DSC06319.

DSC06318.

DSC06317.

DSC06313.

It might be quite some time before I get to really put this to the test. I'll try to report back on it if I remember.
    If it works well I may do something similar for at least one of the larger spindles as well. that would likely involve using some partially threaded pipe, washers and nuts.

8. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting innovation, and it looks like it'll work fine with an offset template.

How are you planning to clamp your templates to your work? I was thinking an indexed vacuum fixture might be fun; no screws, glue, or tape.

Please keep us posted after you've used it! :)