1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guide to fender series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by memphidelity, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    I want to know what differentiates the different series of Fender basses? Standard, Deluxe, American. etc. What's the difference besides price? I bought a Geddy Lee and a Squier Jazz bass. Both seem kind of lifeless compared to my early MIJ Pbass and the older Fenders I have owned through the years. Thinking of buying a new bass, but I want that sustain and presence that seems to be missing down market. Thoughts?

2. I don't consider a Geddy as down market. I have a MIM and MIJ (not Geddy) and can't perceive a difference in sustain.

3. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Fender has two price points : around $900 and $1500+. My question is about the materials and manufacturing differences in the Fender line. Is the $600 premium really there in the new products? if so, what contributes to the enhanced quality?
    upload_2016-2-27_9-16-13.

Attached Files:

4. Those details are listed on the Fender website such as: headstock thickness, graphite reinforcements, hardware differences. The choice is yours to decide if the extra $600 is reasonable. There are many on both sides of the fence.

5. FWIW, due to the weather fluctuations in my area, I place a high value on necks that are either multi-laminate or have the reinforcements. They save me time and hassle.

6. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I'm liking the USA Geddy Lee Jazz. Great playability, and a great sound. A lively sound that still has a great bass bottom to it. Just a new PG changed out, and D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound strings on it.

SaJRIDw.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The $1300 (not $1500) range is where Fender builds their US Standard instruments. This is the baseline as it represents the way Fender originally chose to and continues to manufacture their Precision and Jazz basses. There isn't a "premium" on these basses. There are also lower cost alternative Fenders which have been cost-optimized by various business decisions, primarily centered around location of manufacture and in some cases the cost of components. Fender also offers upscale versions of their basses at higher price points.

It's funny that there are a number of botique Fender-like bass makers who offer their basic instrument north of $2000, and also have an import budget offering right around $1300. It's all relative.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

My thoughts? It's my thinking that all instruments should be evaluated individually and on a case-by-case basis. For example, here's an audio clip (not cut by me) that has both presence and sustain.

https://app.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix

Did I say "sustain"? What I meant to say was "sustain for days". :smug: Unfortunately, there are those who would pooh-pooh such a lovely beast simply because of it's price-point and country of origin. Meanwhile, just the other day, I encountered a brand-new MIA Standard Jazz that would've turned my fretting hand into a bloody mess, what with the sprouting at almost every fret and on both sides of the fingerboard.

To be fair, that, and the outrageous forward-bow to the neck, might've been due to it's proximity to a heating/AC vent, but then none of the others sitting next to it seemed to be similarly affected. In the ultimate irony, it was a Squier VM Jazz that felt best among all the Fender products they had on display. (I can't vouch for their relative sounds. I wasn't there to buy, just to try out what they had acoustically.)