1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guide to spinning a bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ai4281, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    anyone got tricks to spinning a bass around your neck?

2. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Personally I wouldn't!!

3. Straplocks and faith.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Stralocks, high ceiling, low IQ

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Taste: more specifically a lack thereof. Who are we, guitarists?!? ;)

6. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Ha, I'll never forget back in the 80s seeing the Cinderella video for Shake Me when the bass player spins it twice one way then once the other way and then me getting drunk one night and giving it a go with my old Yamaha. Even with straplocks one of them gave out and it kept going and hit the wall..

7. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Something stronger than strap-locks. Plus expendable... equipment, band members and audience.

8. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Moderator, please move this thread to the 'poser'-forum.

9. I was able to do it really well with my ibanez eda905, but i had two bad experiences trying it with my mia jazz deluxe. One time was in the backyard before I put straplocks on it. 15 feet into the grass and one near heart attack later I was fine. One other time was before we went to a gig, I tried it once and it landed on a carpeted concrete floor after the bottom screw stripped out of the body. She got a couple of scars, worked beautifully, but I never tried it again. Those basses are tanks. I don't think I'm ever going to do that again.

10. I dunno about spinning a bass around your neck... But to effectively spin around on the spot with your arms out and your bass flying adjacent to your plucking arm (whilst playing open 16th notes on the E string).... you must be Rob Trujillo. :help:

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    There was some talk of this a while back and I saved a pic of one of the members here doing his first forward onstage - great shot!

12. Sane

Sane Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Iv saw him do that but at the time he also had a mouth full of orange Powerade and was spitting that out at the same time... I got a kick out of it:)

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A real man would spin it around his waist like a hoola-hoop. Don't listen to the haters above, they are just jealous of your mad skillz.

:bag:

14. Why do people tell me these things :scowl:

15. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I would have tried it already, but i don't want to kill ne1 with the headstock... :D

16. I DID hit someone with the headstock once haha.

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , what the heck ... go ahead and give it a try .
    i'm sure you could fix any damage to the bass with some wood putty
    and duct tape ... oh yeah , and plenty of stickers ...

just be sure to tell the singer and guitar player to stand real close to you ....

:bag::bag:

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Spread Vaseline or lard around your neck, and a little in the strap. . . I would also recommend using a wireless system (with the transmitter attached to the strap) so the cable doesn't tangle around you.

And, if you have long hair with a perm, make sure to put on a pony tail. . . tuning pegs get easily tangled with hair.

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    ORLY, NO WAI!!!

20. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    ***!!! All I can say is be very very careful.