Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guiding a friend

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 6, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hiya, im making this thread to get your opinions on how to help a frined concerning his bass playing.
    ---
    First off, im no pro, not by a long shot, but i do feel as though ive enough knowledge to raise this point.
    --

The thing is, it seems to me as though he's trying to speed right past the basics, and cut straight into slap and three finger picking.

Hes been playing just over 6 months, and constantly informs me of his 'progress' and how he can play so many notes a second, and bands riffs in half the time they do, aswell as how his attempted slap (as in an open E, no follow up pop) is coming along. I know hes probably just enthusiastic, but its obvious that in his rush, hes totally forgot about the foundations, so has a 'pretty naff' technique, from fretting (3 fingers only) to plucking (really yanks the strings).

Each time i tell him the above paragraph, he seems to take it personal, as though i think hes crap, which encourages his attempts moreso.

What would you do in similar circumstances?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Let him.
    Some people can't handle advice. They need to make their own experiences.

Maybe encourage him to try joining a band - usually that's a pretty tough eye opener.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    It's near to impossible to give advice to someone who refuses to listen. Heh, not trying to get all psychological, but it seems to be an esteem issue if he takes it so personal when you are just trying to give advice. If he's so happy in his progress let him be. It's important to be enjoying what you're doing, right? And as JMX said joining a band will open up his eyes. A good band anyway with members who know proper technique and theory.

If it was me in this situation I would still try my best to tell him the importance of learning theory before all the showy stuff b/c somewhere down the line he may unfortunately get dragged under. Being a friend, I wouldn't want to see that happen.

Hope this helps :)
    Stephanie

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    he has been in a band recently, well 2 since ive knownhim. However, both ended up replacing him for similar reasons...

ah well, ill just guide him roughly and then its up to him i suppose, doubt itll be much good as he has a bass tutor and has done for the last 4 months.. :p

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Well, I hate to even suggest this, but perhaps you should just kick him in the balls... Seriously, if getting kicked out of 2 bands because his technique was bad doesn't force him to realize that ---his technique is bad--- you're really only left with one solution. Just make sure you're not around when he regains the capacity to walk...

:D :D :D

6. I used to have similar problems in different areas when I was younger, and I always responded much better to the phrase "What if you try it this way" or "How does it sound if you play it this way" another thing you can do is have him correct you (You of course making the mistakes on purpose so as to draw his attention). Try to make it seem like you are both learning from each other and that it is not just you (in his mind) comming down on him. Try this approch and see if it does not give you any better results.