Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild 1987 SB 602/Refin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrydad, Sep 27, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Fellow Bass Heads,
    I may be getting my mitts on a '87 Guild SB 602 fretless 4 string. There is very little wear on the fingerboard from roundwounds. Everything on it is original. If I get it, I'm considering a refinish because there is a really nice flame hidden under an ugly, barely see through olive green/doo-doo brown finish. I'm also considering having the fingerboard planed and re-leveled/poly finish.
    I know that alot of bassist dig these because (A). they sound awesome, and (B). it's the last (only?) fretless Jaco endorsed. Am I de-preciating it's value, or, is it not considered a collectable item ? Thanks for your help.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I don't think that that particular bass is especially collectable. I would refinish it to your hearts content

3. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I think Jaco endorsed the Guild 902 Advanced Pilot not the 602

4. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Thanks for the heads up...I wouldn't know. The current owner seemed to think this was the endorsed model ...unless he's playing the Dreaded "Jaco" Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...just kidding, he's actually a very honest person. Thanks again.

5. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    angryd,
    Two easy ways to tell the diff between the SB602 and the SB902: 602 has 3 control knobs and EMG's while the 902 has 4 control knobs and Bartolini's. Also, the 902 has an ebony board w/ binding while the 602 does not.

6. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Thank you very much for the info Ohmslaw. According to your info, it's definitely a 602. Once I get off my lazy butt and become a supporting member, I'll post some before and after pics, as it's definitely in need of a face lift ( the new house comes first, so it'll be a while).

7. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I do concur

8. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I found a website (google search guild pilot sb 602) with extensive info on guild Pilot basses. I'd give the web address but my 2 year old hijacked the computer before I could save it. I'll try find it again after work tonight.
    Anyway...according to this site, the 602 is the model that Jaco was pictured with (1985). The 900 Advanced Series didn't go into production until 1988.
    Mine is a 1987 with a flame maple body, and what I'm assuming is the finish option known as Charcoal...YUK! Looks more like Used Diaper! ( I should know, I see alot of these).
    SOOOoooo...I don't think this is a collectible, being that it's not the '85 run. Awesome bass though :light wieght and very toneful (though I'm not a big fan of EMG's). I'll eventually strip it, satin finish the body ( the flame looks beautiful under the laquer), and have fret lines installed...you DON'T want to hear me play fretless without them!