Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guild 302 experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Einheit, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Einheit

Einheit

Jun 6, 2001
    Hi, I'm grappling with buying a 1978 mahogany Guild 302. I like the sound and feel of the old guilds I have played, and I have an old 60's Bassman amp to keep with the vintage sound. The price is right on this bass, but alas as I wasn't even born in 1978 I really don't know the history or standard attached to old guilds. Since I can't afford a late fifties/sixties fender, I'd appreciate any insight, personal experience, etcetera about these basses.

thanks so much,

thomas

2. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i don't have any experience with these (sorry) but i would buy one if the price was right. they look cool and they gotta sound decent. and at the right price, you might be able to go even with it on ebay.

dave

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The Guild 302's are really cool basses! I have a couple of them along with a 301 (single pickup) and here are some thoughts. The pickups are fairly bright...the neck pickup is brighter then a P-Bass but has more bottom then the neck pup of a J-Bass. The bridge pup is about the same in having a bit more bottom then a standard J bridge pups. They balance pretty good even though they are fairly strange shaped. The neck shape and feel (especially with the set neck) is more like a Gibson neck then a Fender neck. But...watch out for three things: 1) the pickups have a tendency to feedback really easy, 2) while the bridge itself is of a fairly sturdy design, it is near impossible to get a radius out of the saddles...it just doesn't happen with the design...I had to take the to end saddles off and file the string grooves deeper to get a radius that reflected the neck curve, 3) a lot of older Guild basses seem to have a tendency to develop a fishtail at the end of the neck near the body...I don't know it this is due to the truss rod not being long enough or what, but about the only way to get rid of this is to dress the frets down at the end of the neck. If the bass you are looking at doesn't have any fishtail, and you can live with the possible feedback and the possibility of working on the saddles, go for it....like I said at the beginning...these are cool basses!

Steve

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Atomic Music in College Park, MD has a few Guilds. I got one off eBay, a B302 fretless (always wanted one) but unfortunately it had several stress cracks, including one about a foot long down the back of the neck:eek:

I still like them but I think I'm over it;)

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I like the old Guild stuff. I have a '77 Guild S 60-D mahogany electric guitar and it's quite a cool instrument. It doesn't look, feel, or sound like any other guitar out there, and it's got a peculiar sound that cuts through really well. I like the B-302's that I've played but most of them have not been in the greatest condition and were not stock-different bridges/pickups/tuners. I also wonder how a glued-in mahogany neck holds up over time on a bass. Jonathan Maron from Groove Collective uses a B-302 lot and gets some really cool sounds from it.

6. Einheit

Einheit

Jun 6, 2001
    thanks for your comments

thomas