Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild acoustic bass guitar info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian480, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Hi bass players

I have been playing a Cort acoustic bass guitar in a couple of years now, but thinking the time has come to upgrading to a better quality/ sounding acoustic bass guitar.

I have heart lot of god stuff, about Guild B-30, but I have never try one
    I would bee happy if somebody could tell me about guild acoustic, or other great acoustic basses??

I play a lot of gig in small jazz/Latin clubs
    So it’s important it have some kind of (pizo) pickup, and sound good plug in an amplifier

thanks
    Adrian

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I recommend Rick Turners RB4
    It has a very natural sound with an excellent piezo and electrics. The cedar top model gives it a classical guitar styling. Lightweight at around 5.5lbs.

I have a lot of problems with feedback with my regular acoustics. Mine has a piezo and a LanePoor magnetic pickup in the soundhole.

3. The Turner is nice but completely impotent without an amp. It was a Turner, however, that I was first exposed to TI acousticores, which are standard equipment.

The fun of an ABG is being able to play unplugged with an acoustic guitar and even small hand drums. Any large, and therefore, loud ABG is going to have feedback potential. You learn to deal with it, either with a parametric EQ or notch filter and first and foremost, not standing near the speakers!

The Thunderchief is comparable to the Guild. I think the Guild is the first ABG, foing back to '74 or so. I hate piezo elements.

I have the L.R. Baggs pre in mine. It uses a "ribbon transducer" whatever that is. It sounds pretty good. Hven't tried the others.

The Taylor bass is expensive, no longer produced, and in another class altogether. It is a moster and I would love to have one.

I have no use for an ABG as a serious stage instrument, though it is great for acoustic open jams. As soon as you take a nice ABG out, you are going to get plenty of stage time.

But I would concede the Turner would be the better choice if you only are going to play plugged. and don't care about playing with your friends unplugged.

Whatever you get, give those Thomastics a try.

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Well, I'm going against the grain here, but I've actually played a Guild (B4): thin cutaway body, 30" scale. Very nice instrument. When I decided recently to add an acoustic bass to my arsenal it was my first choice, but they are hard to find. Apparently Guild didn't make too many, and a lot of them were fretless. I finally ended up with an Ibanez AEB305LG, which has a cutaway and a 32" scale (I would really have preferred a 34"); it is a 5-string also. I just survived my first gig with it tonight, and, other than the occasional brain fart when I thought I was playing a 4-string, everything went well. Very playable, not as pretty as the Guild, but not ugly either. I looked hard at the Takamine EG512C, but in the event I couldn't find one with a hard case. For a 5 the Ibanez has a manageable neck, at least for me. My stepson, who is addicted to thin necks, couldn't get along with it.

5. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    Nope, the Ernie Ball earthwood came first. So far this is one of the best ABGs I have played, but the price is a bit over the top for what it does.

6. Yep...the Earthwood was introduced in '72 and produced sporadically for the next 13 years. The Guild B-50 (later renamed B-30) was next...the earliest I know of is '79 but they could have been intro'ed in '74 for all I know. The model is now out of production, as is the B-4, which is a very nice bass but does not compare to its' larger brother.
    The Tacoma is hit-and-miss from what I've learned. Many, like angelopb, love theirs to death while others are furious their bass self-destructed (or so they claim) after a few months or years. The bracing system Tacoma used isn't the sturdiest, but a more sturdy design would choke the massive acoustic volume this model is known for.
    The Taylor traded stability for sound...I've played a few and really tried to like them but they're flat-out meek soundwise even with a pick. Steve Klein, the luthier who actually designed the beast, is said to be peeved to Bob Taylor for changing his design and beefing up the bracing so the bass wouldn't collapse into itself. Klein's shop offers an "upgrade" of Taylor basses, shaving the bracings for better sound. I would not recommend buying a Taylor for use without an amp.
    For a balance of stability and sound I'd have to recommend the Guild B-30 assuming you han work with the 30" scale. Get ahold of a copy of Nirvana's "MTV Unplugged" album...that's the sound right there.
    Good luck.

7. The Martin is similiar to a Guild. I don't like the short scale ones to much.

My Tacoma seems reasonably strong. Although I hear cracking every now and then when I apply too much pressure near the bridge.

I love the sound on that Nirvana album. SOunds like there is some tube O.D. in there somewhere.

8. aigman

aigman

Jun 5, 2004
    I own the bass in question and have to say that it is pretty killer, except for the fact that, after playing, the underside of my arm has scores of dents in it; the edge of the bound body digs in while my arm rests on the body. I should probably put a gel pad on it or something...

The acoustic sound is full and the guitarists in my cover outfit can hear it fine. The plugged-in sound is great, like a gritty upright. I'm starting to prefer it over solid-body electrics for now.

The scale length gives it a punchier character i suppose. I didn't realize the shorter scale until I read about it somewhere, it's such a different beast than a 34" electric. I could buy a Martin neck and have Mike Lull swap it out if I really wanted a long scale. Beaucoup bucks.

Cheers