Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild B-302

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have experience with these classic basses? I saw one in a pawn shop yesterday and i liked the look and feel of it. He was asking $350 but it had some good dings on the body. I'm thinking of offering $200 cash.

I did some digging around the net and have seen ones in excellent condition go for over $500.

I'd like some history on them too. You know, what years they were in production and all that.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Jonathon Maron from Groove Collective is playing them... featured a coupla months ago in BP...

-robert

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi Acacia.

I have a Guild B-301 which is a really nice bass (was my first!) although I don't play it much. I nearly bought a B-302 earlier this year - it was going for about £500 (about $700 US) in a local shop, but i didn't have the disposable cash.

The only info I can give you is from mine - the main difference is that the B-301 has only 1 pickup, the B-302 you ar talking about has 2. Mine has volume and tone controls, I think tha B-302 has one for each pickup and a selector switch for pickup selection.

I believe that the pickups are humbucking passive types (definitely passive), they were made by DiMarzio and sound really good. The bass has a fast neck and good sustain (it has a set neck). The only downsides I've found are that it's a bit neck heavy, also the strap button in the bottom of the bass is a largish peg, so changing to something like Schaller straplocks is impossible without a bit of work!

The one I have dates from December 1977 - you can find out about production dates from the Guild part of the Fender webpage (that's where I got the detail on mine!)

If I'd had the cash at the time I would have paid the £500 for the one I saw. If you can get one for a few hundred dollars - go try it, if you think it plays OK why not make him an offer!! Hope this helps.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    can someone post a pic or the b 302? i'm interested in it but ican't find one... thanks

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

B-302 :D

Schweeeeeet looking basses.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Is that thing Guild short scale like the Starfires? Kinda looks like it...

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I believe they're 34"...

-robert

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I went back and talked to the shop owner, he won't really budge on the price. the pearl inlays on the headstock were almost rotted out looking. I declined it.

If someone sees one for sale or has one for sale, drop me a line please.

thanx.