Guild B301 77' Fixable? (and worth it?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trojanbass69, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Trojanbass69

Trojanbass69

Sep 18, 2019
    Hi guys, i met a guy through some page and we agreed on trading my ludwig accent cs for his guild b301, however it has a crack on the pegbox, so i wanna hear what you guys think about it, you think it's worth it to send to a luthier? i saw it selling for like a grand so that's when i thought it would be interesting to give it a try.
    Here is the bass in question:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    c2ccf1a1-0790-4e0f-9d12-4051c8da125c.jpg c2ccf1a1-0790-4e0f-9d12-4051c8da125c.jpg fe47ebf3-01b3-4fec-b81a-c23351fd4433.jpg

MCF and jamro217 like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My opinion - fixable and worth fixing.

MCF, Novarocker, Mordamir and 11 others like this.
  3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Aqualung60, bholder and Trojanbass69 like this.
  4. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Those are very clean breaks and should be very easy for a good technician or luthier to fix. Guild instruments are fantastic and this is DEFINITELY worth fixing and playing! If you don't want to do it, I know someone who does! (it's me) ;)

MCF, JMacBass65, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If it were me, I'd get out the carpenter's glue and some clamps and have at it myself (after taking the tuners off, of course). Not that tough of a job.

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Astoria, NY
    I had a B302 for a while. The pickup sounds great and it's built solid. Worth a fix.

But be ready for a bass with serious neck dive. Hopefully it doesn't impact your playing. I hope it works out for you.

NigelD and jamro217 like this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Same here, I've done it before. On one acoustic guitar I used superglue.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless OP has woodworking skills/experience, he would be smart to get it to someone who does. Just sayin'.

MCF, Aqualung60, salcott and 6 others like this.
  9. Fixable and worth fixing IMO as well BUT that bass is not worth a grand even with an unbroken headstock. Whatever you're trading for it shouldn't be worth more than $400.

And, unless you've done this type of repair before, I would take it to the luthier.

My $0.02 only...

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Late 70-80s Guilds were really sweet axes. I used to have an S300A-D electric guitar. Probably the best unknown guitar ever.

ajkula66 likes this.
  11. Fabulous pieces these were. I wouldn't mind grabbing one, preferably a non-D model with Guild pickups...

12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Fix it. Definitely worth doing. There's a thread, probably in the Hardware Setup Repair forum, by master luthier @Bruce Johnson that deals with much worse broken neck repair. Worth checking out.

If you determine the value of the cymbal you're trading and do some googling (TB classifieds, Reverb, ebay) for your bass value you can see if it's worth throwing a hundy or two at it for the repair.

MCF and bholder like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Too bad you didn't see it when I had it up here. It was a closet queen - probably less than an hour of playing time in the last 30 years.

There is a Guild collector/player forum somewhere on the web - you should find it. That's where I ended up selling mine.

14. I'm aware of it BUT they are not accepting any new members...registration disabled.

My apologies to the OP for a severe thread derail.

15. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I'll buy it off you and fix it. Just saying. I really want a 301, preferably a project or beater.

16. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Grab it. Find a tech that's a pro at neck/headstock repair and let them do it. I made the mistake of a diy job on my ole TBird with the same type of break. Hey it was the late 70's and I was in a bizzee punk band with no time for proper repairs lol. I ended up regretting that and thankfully a great tech was able to clean up my mess and do a proper repair a few years later.

Rezdog

MCF likes this.
  17. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Those guitars rule! Westerly forever.

18. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Fix it! These B301s are tone monsters, that pickup cuts through the mix like nobody's business.

MCF, Aqualung60 and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    If you don't love your Ludwig, do it and don't look back.

Looks complete and a relatively easy fix.

MCF likes this.
  20. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    1) This should be a do-able fix for the right person, and I'm talking about a qualified guitar tech: You're paying for someone experienced to do it so it won't look like YOU fixed it after a quick trip to Home Depot, because . . .

2) eventually you'll want to sell this thing for something else, and that's why be sure and do 1) as stated above. You want it to look as good as possible, because the buyer is going to get clammy about it and wear you out with questions, and probably walk, unless you can represent (with your receipt for the work) that it was professionally repaired.

It's up to you, but you ALWAYS buy with resale in the back of your mind. Be smart with the $$$ on this one, or you may have to live with it a l-o-n-g time. OG Guilds are great axes, but only a few (in far better shape than this) demand serious money.

MCF likes this.