1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guild b302 experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Einheit, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Einheit

Einheit

Jun 6, 2001
    Hi, I'm grappling with buying a 1978 mahogany Guild 302. I like the sound and feel of the old guilds I have played, and I have an old 60's Bassman amp to keep with the vintage sound. The price is right on this bass, but alas as I wasn't even born in 1978 I really don't know the history or standard attached to old guilds. Since I can't afford a late fifties/sixties fender, I'd appreciate any insight, personal experience, etcetera about these basses.

thanks so much,

thomas

2. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    Uh, why is this in the humour and gig stories forum?

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh...Kenny...it's not...:)

4. I can only speak from personal experienec on this and not too much of history etc. I've owned a 1977 Guild B301 in Mahogany for about 12 years now - kinda spoiled as it was the first bass I'd ever owned and what a bargain (my dad got it from someone who had no idea about these things I guess for about 80 pounds sterling!) I don't play it much now but every once in a while I dig it out, put it through it's paces and walk away smiling.

The only things I'm not keen on is that it's a bit neck heavy, and the body strap button is this big hammered in peg, which makes putting Schaller strap locks on it a real pain (I wanted strap locks after getting a faceful of tuning pegs at high
    speed once when adjusting the volume of the amp!!!!). I use the plastic washer strap locks on this - and it saves much face now!

The tone is good ( and the control adjusts it lots), sustain is good 'cos of the set neck and the fingerboard is one of the fastest I've ever played. Recently a local shop had a B302 for £500 and had my cash been flowing better at the time I'd probably have tried it - I didn't try it 'cos I knew I'd like it and want to buy it (so I can only imagine how much more versatile the extra pickup makes it!).

Depending on what you're looking for,if the price is right go for it. I think that it's great bass, and from what I've seen a sound investment - I think that you'll easily get your money back if you choose to move on from it in years to come!

Hope this helps!!!

Johnny Boom Boom.