Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guild b302 experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Einheit, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Einheit

Einheit

Jun 6, 2001
    Hi, I'm grappling with buying a 1978 mahogany Guild 302. I like the sound and feel of the old guilds I have played, and I have an old 60's Bassman amp to keep with the vintage sound. The price is right on this bass, but alas as I wasn't even born in 1978 I really don't know the history or standard attached to old guilds. Since I can't afford a late fifties/sixties fender, I'd appreciate any insight, personal experience, etcetera about these basses.

thanks so much,

thomas

2. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    Uh, why is this in the humour and gig stories forum?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh...Kenny...it's not...:)

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I can only speak from personal experienec on this and not too much of history etc. I've owned a 1977 Guild B301 in Mahogany for about 12 years now - kinda spoiled as it was the first bass I'd ever owned and what a bargain (my dad got it from someone who had no idea about these things I guess for about 80 pounds sterling!) I don't play it much now but every once in a while I dig it out, put it through it's paces and walk away smiling.

The only things I'm not keen on is that it's a bit neck heavy, and the body strap button is this big hammered in peg, which makes putting Schaller strap locks on it a real pain (I wanted strap locks after getting a faceful of tuning pegs at high
    speed once when adjusting the volume of the amp!!!!). I use the plastic washer strap locks on this - and it saves much face now!

The tone is good ( and the control adjusts it lots), sustain is good 'cos of the set neck and the fingerboard is one of the fastest I've ever played. Recently a local shop had a B302 for £500 and had my cash been flowing better at the time I'd probably have tried it - I didn't try it 'cos I knew I'd like it and want to buy it (so I can only imagine how much more versatile the extra pickup makes it!).

Depending on what you're looking for,if the price is right go for it. I think that it's great bass, and from what I've seen a sound investment - I think that you'll easily get your money back if you choose to move on from it in years to come!

Hope this helps!!!

Johnny Boom Boom.