Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild B402-A Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spunkydog, Feb 16, 2006.

1. spunkydog

spunkydog

Feb 16, 2006
    I have a Guild B402-A bass guitar that I acquired from a friend, and I trying to find out some history of this bass.

Does anyone know the history of this bass, how many were produced, differences from the B401, original price, etc.

Also, any idea of what this is worth today?

Thanks.:confused:

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got a B-302, made around 1980. All mohagany, rosewood fingerboard, 2 single coils.

Is the 402 a "nicer" version ... figured woods or active or something?

3. spunkydog

spunkydog

Feb 16, 2006
    Mine is a light blond finish, with a rosewood fretboard. It also has active electronics.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Got it ... the "4" must just get you the preamp. I've seen blonde/rosewood 302s as well. Really cool sounding basses IMO. Do the pickups on the 402 buzz as bad as the 302s?

The 302s seem to be worth about $350-400, but finding a buyer can be hard since they are kind of a specialty item. Yours is probably worth a bit more. I bet it sounds great with a preamp in there.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Right. The 401's and 402's are active. I bought a 401 in about 1981. Mine was a dark mahogany finish with a maple colored outline around the outside. It was the first active bass i'd ever seen. The 401's have a single pickup and the 402's two pickups. The 301's and 302's are the same only passive.