Guild bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Max, May 10, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Monday night I caught the Old 97s at the House of Blues in Los Angeles (great show, GREAT band). The bass player never switched playing (from what l could see from the logo on the headstock) what looked like a Guild bass. It was very cool. The body was black, with a matching headstock. It had a dark fretboard. The body had what looked like two "f" holes, and white binding. He played through an Ampeg SVT IV and Ampeg 8x10 classic cab. As for the sound, it wasn't overpowering, real solid though, and sounded very close to a stand-up. Can anybody tell from my description maybe more about make, model, vintage etc?
  2. Sounds like it may be a StarFire, nice bass.
    This one is a lefty but it may have looked like this.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Yep. That's it. Thanks GP
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    DeArmond made a Starfire bass until last year - a hell of a lot cheaper than the Guild original. If you think you'd like a Guild, try the DeA first - you'd have less to lose. I love mine...
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, yeah - I'm pretty sure all Starfires are short scale. They have a 30.75" scale, but use 32" mid scale strings due to the design of the bridge.
  6. I'm really interested in checking those basses out myself, but I can't stand short scale. I wish they had them in normal scale.
  7. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If I'm not mistaken, the Guild Starfire ( with revved up Alembic electronics) was the bass of choice for Phil Lesh in the early 70's.

IMO, a vintage Starfire would be a real find for one's collection.

8. That's correct alembicbones. There's a great pic of Lesh's bass on july's bassplayer, it has over 15 knobs!!!
  9. Anyone know what Guild bass Sheryl Crow plays? It's similiar to a Starfire but a different body style. I'm attaching a pic.:confused:
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Jack Casady had one of those Starfire/Alembics too.
  11. h60

Nov 30, 2007
    Crow recorded with a Guild M-85 bass. I believe it was a 70's version with guild humbuckers as opposed to the Hagstrom bi-sonic pickups guilsd used in the 60's on their basses. also it would have been a solid body, they did mak a hollow version earlier on. Either would be a very nice bass to own. My taste would prefer a hollowbody.
  12. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I wish I had my old M-85 back. It was one of the black hollowbody versions. It had a great Ronnie Lane feel to it. It was mint,and I only paid $225 for it back in the late '70s. If I knew then what I know now...
  13. HarderTheyFlo

Aug 31, 2007
    I believe i saw the Old 97 back in the summer, is Rhett Miller in it? Yeah as i recall it was a good show.
  14. billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Love my Guilds,,,,,,,,,,,67 Starfire I
    71 JS II
    73 M 85 II
  15. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    There is something special about a Guild Starfire II. I'll never sell mine!

16. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    To you Starfire-ophiles out there.... what are the dimensions of the pickups (just the pickup, not the mounting ring)? I'm restoring an old 60s Kent bass (similar design) and have been wanting to put in a set of Starfire pickups, but I don't know if they would fit.
  17. jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    I used to have a Guild B-302. Kinda ugly, but cool at the same time (like E.T.!). The body shape looked like a Rick in a car wreck! Sounded really good and played nice though. I kinda miss it.
  18. 3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yup, The Godfather bass :)

Haha, he even had labels on it:

19. There was a plethora of these big semi accoustic basses in the 60s as manufacturers (Gibson, Epiphone, Hofner, Gretsch, Guild etc) jumped on the guitar bandwagon, none of them were particularly outstanding coupled with the fact that there were very few decent Bass rigs available in those days, home brew bass cabs were very much the order of the day in the UK.
    The most popular semi accoustic Bass by far was the Epiphone Rivoli.
  20. de1orean

de1orean Commercial User

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    i never miss an opportunity to show off my SF1. :D

mikbass likes this.