Guild M-85 Reissue - Upgrading Questions:

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shortie, May 1, 2016.

1. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Inactive

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    I picked up a used Guild M-85 Reissue a few months ago for a good price. I like the body (chambered semi-hollow) the neck, the look, and build quality, but the sound, as is, doesn't cut it - very limited range, not much thump. The pots - volume and tone are pretty useless - either "on" or "off" - not much graduation at all. I need to get them checked or swapped out. It's strung with Chrome flats but I will probably put GHS Pressure wounds on it, which are my go-to strings - versatile and just the right feel for me.

I've also heard I can get a Dark Star pup to replace the stock pup ("bi-sonic") on the reissue. I think this bass has a lot of potential but it needs work. I know this model has also been made with two pups - something I'm considering for this bass.

I'm in NYC - any help/suggestions about how/where to bring this bass up to its potential are much appreciated. I'm not a do it yourself guy on my instruments beyond strings and set ups.

61nYoi1m-0L._SY679_.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. What value in ohms are the pots?

3. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Inactive

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    I haven't got a clue. I'd have to look up the detailed specs - it's stock, so that's probably not the issue. IMO it's about the fundamentals of this model. The bass is a sealed chamber - can't really get at the pots except by removing the pup and I'm not going to perform major surgery on my own. I should try to clean the pots - they may just be dirty and sticky.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. I understand. I have done it a few times in the past and it is tedious. This late in life I am for instruments with easy access. Your bass is really nice looking though

5. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Inactive

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    It's nice looking and the workmanship is excellent - neck is set, laminated mahogany, smooth as silk and it has a real bone nut. The chambered body is very well done - I can tell from the sounds and feel I do get out of it. But at the moment, it's far from realizing its potential.

Tnx

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    For me the problem with the tone of the M-85 RI I tried was the pickup position. I prefer a neck pickup position.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Whatever you do, don't chop it up, and don't lose any original parts. Those are sweet basses.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022