1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guild Pilot value?- first 5 string made

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SaxBass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Okay, a few years ago I ended up with the first Guild Pilot 5 string made. The serial number is BK 100001. Seriously. It's a fretless, but I don't think it started out as one. I don't have the whole story on it, never had the chance to ask; that's a bit of a sad story in itself. But here I am with a sort of a collector's item that I'm probably not going to play. I've held on to it a bit for sentimental reasons, a bit for collector's reasons, a bit 'cause I thought I'd eventually work on playing fretless. That last reason has turned out to be a bust. So I'm inquiring here at TB to see if there would be any interest in the bass. I see the classifieds, and know Pilots aren't moving much these days. I'm just curious to see what you all think about the possible value of this bass. Would appreciate any and all feedback!

It's blue, looks like a 34" scale, EMG JJ pickups. It appears to me the frets were ground down rather than pulled, and the fretboard done in epoxy. Rather nice job, very smooth and clean. The body is pretty straight on the top; the back has some significant buckle scratches. Neck is nice. My digital scale has it at 8 lbs. 8 oz. Has original hard-shell Guild case.

2. SaxBass

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Here's a few more pics.

3. SaxBass

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    A couple more...

4. The fact that the frets were ground down rather than removed is a big plus in my mind. The strength of the neck wasn't changed because the base of the frets are still in the fretboard. I have no idea what the bass is worth but it looks like a nice find for someone. If I had more disposable income I'd be interested myself.

Rick B.

5. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    i love me some guild pilots. during my research and talks with other people about pilots. they were not made in sequential order. the necks were stamped and then they were put together. so you have the first stamped pilot neck but not neccesarily the first one made.

from my experience the pained body pilots go considerably cheaper then the stained body ones. and the frets being pulled or ground down i would think would detract from the value of it. 5 strings usually go anywhere from $300-$450 range on the bay.

6. SaxBass

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    nalapit13- Man, I looked at your profile and you do indeed have experience with Pilots! I appreciate your input!

Yes, I've seen the stained Pilots and, I agree the painted ones would likely fetch a lower price.

Is it your opinion that this was likely fretted first, and modified? Or is it possible that this is how they would have done a fretless? (or is that just a question from a very uninformed person?) :)

7. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    i have never seen a lined pilot fretess from the factory. only ones i have seen are unlined. not saying they dont exist i have just never seen one.

8. SaxBass

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    I think everything points to it being modified. There isn't an urgency one way or the other for me; I'm just curious.